ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Comments on GoDaddy data and proposal

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Alan Greenberg'" <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Comments on GoDaddy data and proposal
  • From: "Michael Young" <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:08:56 -0500

Guys here's a thought on a possible compromise that might add value.

Mikey and I had extensive conversations and noted that darkening a name (by
a mandatory policy) can solve for one edge case but actually can create an
equivalent amount of harm to other registrants.  So unfortunately at the end
of the day you may have saved a small amount of registrants from losing a
domain, but you likely just caused service interruption to an equal number
of registrants (or greater) that would never have suffered it otherwise.  So
no net gain with mandatory policies that darken the domain.

The real goal is getting the attention of the registrant.

An idea:

Perhaps a reasonable alternative would be that registrars, at the time of
registration, consistently request a backup/emergency contact that also gets
notified during the expiration process.  That contact mechanism would have
to be at the registrar's operational discretion since it would need to
support automation.  It could be something like a cell number for texting,
it could be something like an email address that CANNOT BE in the registered
domain, but is something more/different than the standard registrant contact
object.  This contact would explicitly not be a registry contact object, it
would be a matter between the registrar and the registrant for backup
communication during the expiration process.

Thoughts?

Michael Young