ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposal regarding Guaranteed renewal period and blackout

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Proposal regarding Guaranteed renewal period and blackout
  • From: "Mason Cole" <masonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:10:27 -0800

Mikey, and all --

At the beginning of this work group, registrars, who have operational
experience with dealing with millions of customers, pointed out to the
ALAC, which does not have any operational experience but plenty of
theories, incidences of accidental loss of a name is de minimis.  Still,
for reasons the ALAC refused to or was unable to substantiate, the WG
insisted on developing policy for a phantom problem. Still registrars
participated in good faith.

Registrars stayed quiet while some in the WG framed this effort in terms
of "registrars who behave honorably" vs. those who were insinuated to
behave dishonorably.  Whatever that meant.  Still registrars
participated in good faith.

Registrars, in good faith, proposed a reasonable program for mitigating
the possibility -- not the proven fact -- of an accidental non-renewal.
It was dismissed.  Still, registrars are participating in good faith.

ICANN's board has affirmed its commitment to fact-based policy
development.  It has not affirmed its commitment to anecdote-based
policy development.  And by ALAC's admission in Brussels, it will never
have more than anecdotal evidence for its actions.  That is unfortunate
at best and irresponsible at worst.  There is no evidence of any kind
provided by the instigation of this PDP that there is a problem.  Yet
registrars participate in good faith.

We have been polite and patient.  Patience with addressing a non-problem
is coming to an end.  Perhaps WG members would like to open and operate
a registrar according to the rules it intends to impose on all other
registrars and assume the responsibility for and costs of hiring talent,
disrupting business operations, explaining new procedures to customers,
and the like, for an issue that is merely anecdote-based.  At that
point, I would welcome its informed input.  And would confer in good
faith.  Honorably.

So.  If the WG would like a little positive help...refer KINDLY to the
completely reasonable proposition to deal with this problem entirely
BEFORE a name ever expires, and with the responsible process to
academically measure this "problem" before and after mitigating measures
are put into place.

There is a considered difference between pointing out realities of
technical difficulties in implementing design-by-committee processes and
being intentionally obstructionist.  I for one would appreciate respect
for the difference.