ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Where we are now.

  • To: PEDNR <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Where we are now.
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:25:18 -0500

I would like to summarize where we are at the moment.

Assuming that agreements already made are not revoked, we have made substantial progress. This has happened with (as I see it) ground given up by all parties and we need to acknowledge that. Regardless of the stumbling blocks still in our path, this is a good outcome.

We are working on one issue - the time allowed for guaranteed renewal and how the domain behaves during that period. I thought that I had made a useful proposal - simply stated and very flexible. But apparently it is not viewed that way by registrars. I would appreciate having alternatives proposed that address what is perceived as a real need by the user community - as Mikey has put it, an out-of-band signal of expiration.

As hard as it may be to believe, I too want policies that are both enforceable and practical. And effective.

Alan