ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Another try at a middle ground

• To: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Young <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pednr-dt] Another try at a middle ground
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 13:50:01 -0500

Current policy gives registrars full discretion to delete at any time and I don't think that we have ever talked about changing that (as it could have monetary impact on registrars).

Of course, if deleted, it would go into the RGP and be redeemable through that mechanism (although probably at a higher price, but as long as it is published, so be it).

Alan

At 01/02/2011 01:40 PM, James M. Bladel wrote:
It's certainly worth discussing. One concern would be that the current wording seems to give registrars the option of explicitly deleting the name while the 8-day period is on going. Or am I missing something?

J.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Another try at a middle ground
From: "Michael Young" <<mailto:myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, February 01, 2011 12:22 pm
To: "PEDNR" <<mailto:gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

Below is a recommendation crafted out as a â??suggestedâ?? middle ground and it is intended to replace both the guaranteed recovery period proposal suggested by James and Alanâ??s proposal are darkening the domain.

In this version, there is not a complete darkening of the domain, but the DNS resolution path is expected to be interrupted (redirection). Where the guaranteed recovery period occurs during the 45 day grace period is now at the discretion of the Registrar ? this should minimize (or hopefully eliminaate) impact to existing business models. If this doesnâ??t get the attention of a registrant that has gone awol, then I really donâ??t know what cost effective/reasonable measure could.

This also allows Registrars to charge a premium for renewals after expiry but prior to RGP, but as I read the rest of the recommendations, that knowledge would be made explicitly available to the registrant prior to expiration.

New Recommendation:

For at least 8 concurrent days, at some point following expiration, the original DNS resolution path of the RAE, at the time of expiration, must be interrupted, and the domain must be renewable by the RAE until the end of that period.
This 8-day period may occur at any time following expiration.

Notwithstanding, the registrar may delete the domain at any time during the Auto-renew grace period.

Is this something that might work for both sides here?

Best Regards,

Michael Young
Vice President, Product Development
Afilias
O:416-673-4109
M:+1-647-289-1220

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy