ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter

  • To: <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 17:10:39 -0400

At 02/07/2013 04:51 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:
On 7/2/13 1:32 PM, Alan Greenberg wrote:
> A process for developing gTLD policy ...

Historically, "gTLD" has had two meanings: registries other than
sponsored TLDs, for which a source of ongoing policy other than a
contract with ICANN existed, viz sTLDs {.aero,.coop,.museum,.cat,...}
and gTLDs {.biz,.info,.name,.pro, as well as .com,.org,.net}, and all
registries other than ccTLDs.

Just to clarify, you mean "g" to have the second meaning, not the first?

Eric

I meant "generic top-level domains" as referenced in the description of the GNSO in Article X, Section 1 of the ICANN Bylaws.

If one wanted to delve deeper than that, which I do not think is necessary, I *think* that it is all TLDs except ccTLDs and the few heritage TLDs controlled outside of ICANN (.edu, .int, .gov).

Alan