ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-dt]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter

  • To: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-dt] For final review - proposed WG Charter
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 14:31:24 -0700

On 7/2/13 2:10 PM, Alan Greenberg wrote:

> I meant "generic top-level domains" as referenced in the description
> of the GNSO in Article X, Section 1 of the ICANN Bylaws.

The reason I ask is because where a sponsor exists (2000, 2004
contracts) and I assume where a Community registration policy exists
(2013), policy and implementation are not generic, and possibly
outside of the scope of the GNSO subsequent to contract (2000, 2004)
and/or contract if not evaluation (2013).

I recall working a competitive registrar exception at the Montevideo
meeting in 2000 with Louis, and while it was partially undone by the
Registrar Constituency of the period, it remained partially in effect
and remains a standing exception to a Consensus Policy (until
revisited in the VI WG and the Board's vote ending the existing
separation rule.

Eric