ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 30 October 2013

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 30 October 2013
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:26:42 -0700

Dear All,

Please note that the next Policy and Implementation Working Group
teleconference is scheduled for Wednesday 13th November  2013 at 20:00 UTC for
1,5 hrs.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working group
call held on Wednesday 30 October 2013 at 19:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-2013103016-en.mp3

 On page:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>oct

Calendar page:
http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:
Wolf Knoben - ISPCP
Chuck Gomes – RySG
Philip Marano – IPC (for Brian Winterfeldt)
Michael Graham – IPC
James Bladel – RrSG
Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC
Alan Greenberg – ALAC
Klaus Stoll – NPOC
Marie-Laure Lemineur – NPOC
 Nic Steinbach – RrSG
Gideon Rop - Individual
J.Scott Evans – BC
 Kiran Malancharuvil – IPC
Anne Aikman Scalese - IPC
Tim Ruiz – RrSG
Brian Beckham - IPC
Olevie Kouami - NPOC
Greg Shatan – IPC

Apology:
 Holly Raiche – ALAC
Olga Cavalli – GAC
Tom Barrett – RrSG
Kristine Rosette – IPC
Amr Elsadr - NCUC
 Maureen Cubberley – Individual
Krista Papac
Marika Konings
Tim Cole

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Glen de Saint Gery
Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 30th October 2013:

   Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, Welcome to the Policy and Implementation
Working Group call on Wednesday 30th October

  Michael R. Graham:Maureen e-mailed that she is still on route and asked if I
could give brief status -- which is getting started.

  Michael R. Graham:I will have to leave call/meeting at 3pm

  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ all, audio is enabled in the AC room, so please all
mute microphones and speakers if you are on the audio bridge, or not speaking,
thank you!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi Alan

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Am following up with the provider about this

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Tim Ruiz has joined the call

  Mary Wong:This spreadsheet has also been uploaded to the WG wiki, as an
attachment to today's meeting agenda.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:The document is synched so you can all scroll

  Tim Ruiz:Hey all, sorry I am late.

  Gideon Rop:Thanks

  Mary Wong:Hello Tim and everyone, welcome!

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Anne Aikman Scalese has joined the audio bridge

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Brian Beckham has joined the AC room

  Mary Wong:Sorry, in PDF'ing the Excel spreadsheet Deliverable V seems to have
dropped off. The full spreadsheet is on the wiki.

  Bladel:quite a bit of background noise, can folks be sure to mute their
phones?  Thanks!

  Nathalie  Peregrine:@ James, I am working on this with the operator.

  Chuck Gomes:My compliments to the Work Plan subteam for great work

  Gideon Rop:the subteam strategy is great it caters for all

  Wolf Knoben:Hi, sorry for being late

  Chuck Gomes:We may want to just ask for volunteers for all subteams except 5.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and some may wish to serve on more than 1 sub team...

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, that may be where this proposed time line could be
helpful, especially as the Work Plan Sub-Team populates it with some further
milestones and key dates/deliverables.

  Mary Wong:So that people can make decisions appropriately.

  Olevie:hi !

  Mary Wong:Hello Olevie, welcome.

  Olevie:thks Mary

  Tim Ruiz:Assignment and actual participation are two different things

  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- good point, and hopefully there will be
worker-bees on each sub-team

  Alan Greenberg:Presumably staff will be on all calls and therefore probably
rules out overlapping meetings

  Mary Wong:@Alan, yes, we anticipate supporting all sub-teams!

  Mary Wong:But we do have a few of us supporting this WG so some overlapping
will be possible.

  Michael R. Graham:I do like the idea of ensuring continuity between 0B and V,
though my thought with V is that the  bulk of work will actually be done by the
WG as a whole, with the Sub-Team supplying laboring oars where necessary or
useful.\

  Olevie:+1@Michael

  Olevie:that's my point of view too

  Chuck Gomes:It is also possible to provide input to a subteam even if you are
not on that team

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed  Michael

  Michael R. Graham:@Chuck -- very good point

  Olevie:good point @Chuck

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  Chuck  and the  work plan team  didconsider the
conrinuous  meetimh of the whole  each month touch points

  Olevie:+1@Cheryl

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: leaving of course  3 other weeks  each month  for  ST
activities  at full steam

  Olevie:great

  Olevie:point ccheryl

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  OB needs to start ASAP

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Gregory Shatan has joined the AC room

  Tim Ruiz:I think 0B will certainly want to carefully consider the draft
Vision, Mission, & Focus Areas for the 5-year Strategic Plan. Some very
relevant material to consider there.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that was what the WP  had thought  the  OB meet main on BA

  Greg Shatan:I've joined the Adobe.  Still waiting for the call.

  Mary Wong:@Greg, AC has audio & voice enabled for this call, if that helps.

  Mary Wong:The next WG call is scheduled for Nov 13 (Wednesday, as usual).

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:indeed  we have Chuck

  Tim Ruiz:@Mary, same time UTC?

  J. Scott Evans:Has Maureen arrived.

  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:Should we value the fact that some of us or maybe
many of us will be travelling on the 13th , if that is the case, is  it worth
having the meeting

  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:travelling to BA of course..

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:run it as a primarily OB meeting  but  open to all??

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:or  split the  time???

  Michael R. Graham:@J.Scott -- Don't see her unless she's on phone.  Summary
is that waiting for volunteers to prepare draft definitions.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup  you took  the

  Mary Wong:@Tim, the idea is to keep the meeting times to the "normal" time so
the new UTC time would be 2000 UTC after this week.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:words  right out of mymhead  AGAIN Chuck

  Michael R. Graham:I would actually have the sub-team meet by phone prior to
BA, then use the Wednesday session (with Definitions) to gain input from WG as
a whole.

  Michael R. Graham:0B subteam, that is.

  Mary Wong:If we can get a meeting for Sub Team 0B in the week of 11 Nov
(pre-BA), would it be useful to NOT have the full WG meeting that week too?
Given travel schedules that week etc.

  Mary Wong:So, for instance, 0B could use the "normal" WG meeting time if they
wish.

  Mary Wong:For that week only, that is.

  Tim Ruiz:I hope all this scheduling can be summarized via email? I am getting
a little lost. It would help to include which BA meetings for this group will
have remote participation.

  Alan Greenberg:Never had my hand up. Was a tick mark for Cheryl's comment.

  Mary Wong:@Tim, I believe there will be remote participation for both the
GNSO weekend sessions and this WG's F2F meeting on Weds.

  Tim Ruiz:Thanks Mary.

  Michael R. Graham:I have to cut out for student meetings.  I will participate
in BA remotely.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:fish bowl  or  round table  works  Mary

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:oportunuty  for input

  Michael R. Graham:Which does lead to one issue: splitting into two sub-teams
in BA poses an issue to remote participants . . .

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, right.

  Michael R. Graham:bye now . . .

  Mary Wong:@Michael, absolutely. We cannot do RP for two simultaneous
sessions, unless they are scheduled as two different meetings in different
rooms.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:if  we spit to  WT's  we  would  still gather as a whole
for last third  just needs  GOOD facilitation

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Adobe  Rooms  can do breakouts

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:just neds to be arranged

  Olevie:Volunteer to be Vice-Chair of one of the

  Olevie:group

  Michael R. Graham:@Cheryl -- That would be great -- I could attend both in
parallel!

  Michael R. Graham:Now I'm definitely out of here.

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, true - so people would have to choose which pod to follow.
Audio may be more of a challenge - I will need to check!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:need to check on  tech limitations onsite  BUT  it is a
feature of AC rooms

  Mary Wong:I'll check with IT asap.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I just  make  a phone link run to one  and  the  AC audio
the other... (I then often have one in eachnear of course)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:then I have managed 3 rooms at once all differentn WG's at
times...

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, that's a skill some of us have yet to acquire :) (or
acquit ourselves well when practicing!)

  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:In the ATRT2 evaluation study, there are
references to policy development models that could be useful  if you want to
have a look at it.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:one need  environ (speaker)  so not suitable  for  onsite
use  only remote

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Maureen is not on the audio bridge

  Mary Wong:Will do, Chuck.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thism is another  question to bentreated  like  3  IMO

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, would you suggest reaching out to other SO/ACs for Q2, 3 &
4, or just 3 & 4?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that  is a hell yes

  Mary Wong:OK, just making sure :)

  Olevie:About question 4  : it was said that there is already common agreement
 in the community regarding the relationships between the listed groups with
regard to policy development

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:But  also  an online tool  for input  that is less formal
than a PC

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, something like a wiki page or Google doc that people can
fill out boxes specific to a question/topic.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:his line dropped

  Nathalie  Peregrine:We are dialling back out to him

  Tim Ruiz:It is redundent. The GAC is an AC, all listed are stakeholders, etc.
It could be simplified by reducing the list.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup  google  form

  Olevie:to resume

  Mary Wong:@CHuck, "role" rather than "relationship"?

  Olevie:question 4 is already solve

  J. Scott Evans:Yes, and we should also ask for the respondent to say "why"
they feel the identified groups should be involved

  Mary Wong:i.e. respective roles of each group vis-a-vis the role of other
groups?

  Chuck Gomes:Good suggestion Mary

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:role  covers mthebpoint Alan is making  of  the dynamic

  Olevie:if you talk about relationship betwee the groups

  Olevie:the role is also as usual dear Mary

  Olevie:I think so

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:we want tobuild clarity on the dynamics of these roles

  Olevie:ok

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that will effect the results / responces

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr: so could be of use to go neutral

  Mary Wong:Thanks, Cheryl.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:q 3&4

  Nic Steinbach:@ Chuck, I think 3.

  Mary Wong:@Alan, that's fine - just wanted to be sure that this is the WG's
understanding.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:and advisenon the online oportunity for input in BA on all
these

  Olevie:OK

  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:we could gather input for q3 through a small
survey that we could circulate among community members

  Olevie:+1@Marie-Laure proposal

  Olevie:a survey to

  Olevie:follow up

  Nic Steinbach:I think the in person for number 3 is important because the
words "succesful" and "unsuccesful" are subjective. It is easier to convey your
own perspective in person than via a survey...

  Olevie:+1@Nic

  Mary Wong:Staff can work with the Chairs/Vice Chairs to refine these
questions, esp. Q4, as suggested; we will also look into an online tool that
can keep collecting responses for some/all of the questions.

  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:NIc you are right nevertheless, it would be
interesting to compare our inputs F2F and the ones collected from a bradoer
community base through a survey...combine both methodolgies if there is
agreement on that of course

 Nic Steinbach:I think that makes a lot of sense Marie.

  Nic Steinbach:Marie-laure*

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I ALWAYS  wantnUTC  TO STAY THE SAME

  Mary Wong:We can certainly have the same question asked online as well as F2F.

  Mary Wong:2000 UTC will be the meeting time.

  Mary Wong:(sorry Cheryl!)

  Olevie:Thank you all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:all callsbshould run  on  just  UTC  *unadjusted* for DST

  Olevie:bye bye

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye

  Marie-laure Lemineur -NPOC:thks to all..bye

  J. Scott Evans:THANK YOU EVERYONE!!

  Olevie:BYE J.