ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Input requested - Policy & Implementation Working Definitions

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Input requested - Policy & Implementation Working Definitions
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:52:05 -0500

On 22-Jan-14 17:06, Michael Graham wrote:
Finally, at the risk of repeating myself and the introduction to the
definitions, I want to repeat that the definition sub-team’s goal is to
arrive at definitions for specific terms which enables the Work Group to
discuss the matters before it without debating the meaning or
significance of those terms.  By doing so, we hope the Working Group’s
deliberations will be able to focus on fulfilling the Charter requests
and produce the deliverables requested, among which we anticipate will
be further elucidations of and discussions concerning these terms and
their significance to Policy and Implementation.

I guess I do not understand how we do this.

By picking a certain definition we are making certain solution more acceptable than others.

Deciding on a definition presages the solution. And if the definition does not fit we will need to add adjectives before the defined words or use substitute language to actually have an open conversation order.

But, I will work on my view of the definitions to send by the deadline, because we can move the conversation into the definition if that is what the groups has decided is the best way to proceed. I missed the first few weeks of this group due to other obligations, so am forced to accept to the process by which we seem to moving.

avri

ps. my degrees are in Philosophy where we leanr that once the definition is set, the conversation is mostly over.