ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 12 March 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 12 March 2014
  • From: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 23:25:01 -0700

Dear All,

Please note that the next Policy and Implementation Working Group
teleconference is scheduled for Wednesday 12th March 2014 at 21:00 UTC

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working group
call held on Wednesday 12 March 2014 at 20:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140312-en.mp3

 On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#may>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#mar

Calendar page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Philip Marano – IPC

Brian Winterfeldt - IPC

Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC

Alan Greenberg – ALAC

Marie-Laure Lemineur - NPOC

Greg Shatan – IPC

Nic Steinbach – RrSG

Tom Barrett Encirca - RrSG

Wolf Knoben – ISPCP

Amr Elsadr –NCUC

Chuck Gomes – RySG

Olevie Kouami – NPOC

Chuck Gomes – RySG

Avri Doria – NCSG

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

Klaus Stoll - NPOC

Apology:

J.Scott Evans – BC

Olga Cavalli – GAC

Kristina Rosette - IPC

Mary Wong

ICANN staff:

Amy Bivins

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Nathalie Peregrine

 Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Nathalie Peregrine

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 12 March 2014:

   Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group Meeting
of 12 March 2014

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:lost audio

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:audio back

  Nathalie  Peregrine:If you are experiencing audio issues in the AC room,
please switch to Firefox, rather tna Google Chrome

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Olevie Kouani is on the audio bridge only

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Amr Elsadr has joined the call

  Amr Elsadr:Still dialling in.

  Avri Doria:lack of ambiguity is aspirational.  i have read very things in my
life that I could not find the ambiguity within

  Avri Doria:... very few things ...

  Alan Greenberg:In particular...

  Avri Doria:i consider a year timely for IGO INGO.  it got done in time.

  Amr Elsadr:I agree with Greg. If time sensitivity conflicts with the
thoroughness of the process, the process should be more important. No objection
to time-sensitivity being a principle though.

  Olevie:I'm finally in

  Olevie::-)

  Avri Doria:But that was NOT unanimous in the ATRTs

  Olevie:side the room

  Olevie:hi !

  Marika Konings:@Greg - so you are willing to meet 6 hours a week instead? ;-)

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck: +1

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Stephanie Perrin has joined the webinar

  Olevie:@Nathalie : is a webinar or a conference call ?

  Olevie:it

  Alan Greenberg:Avri, the ATRT receved a pretty clear message that the  MS
policy development process was threatened by the perceive slowness of the
process and that it had to use people's time more effectively.

  Greg Shatan:@Marika: If you pay me enough. :=)

  Marika Konings:LOL

  Greg Shatan:Hang down your head, unduly.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:@Olevie, it's a conference call, with a web based
conjference tool, so a little bit of both :) But apologies for the confusion!!

  Greg Shatan:Working Groups need to work smarter not harder.  And avoid
cliches.

  Marika Konings:At the moment, PDP manual directs IRT to direct back to GNSO
Council if policy issues are identified.

  Klaus Stoll:Sorry got disconnected

  Alan Greenberg:@Marika, Yes it does. And offers no methodology with which the
GNSO can address it (if it is a contract altering Consensus Policy).

  Marika Konings::-)

  Marika Konings:thank you Chuck!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:ok

  Stephanie perrin:Is there not a way to make it a more iterative process?
agree in the working group that an issue be sent back for determination?  In a
legislative process (in Canada at least), if you step outside the agreed remit,
you have to go back for more authority.  That would be a drafting instruction
amendment, ICANN could have something similar.   It will always be the case
that new policy issues will be identified, if real work is being done.

  Olevie:nothing to say

  Olevie:stephanie is on qaudio

  Marika Konings:Presumably this will be a big part of the discussion dealing
with the charter question re. the role of implementation review teams.

  Olevie:The audio on AC is so clear today. It's 9:50 pm by my side

  Marika Konings:The PDP-WT did discuss the issue of making changes to the
policy after adoption by the Board and at that time agreed that it should only
be possible by initiating a PDP.

  Stephanie perrin:When and if new policy issues that are germane to the
operationalization/implementation, a clear process should be developed for
returning the specific for policy direction.

  Stephanie perrin:specific issue

  Amr Elsadr:So implementation guidance = Details on how to conduct
implementation?

  Stephanie perrin:that seems to make sense to me

  Marika Konings:@Amr - yes, if there are any specific considerations that the
WG wants to point out in relation to implementation, we would highlight these
in the report as 'implementation considerations' and these are then also passed
on  to staff responsible for the implementation.

  Stephanie perrin:If the stakeholder impact assessment works, then the actual
details of what to do will flow from that process...

  Amr Elsadr:@Chuck @Marika: Thanks. That's really helpful.

  Amr Elsadr:@Greg: Don't you think it could be challenged via a Council motion?

  Avri Doria:i cant hear anymore.

  Avri Doria:i can now

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:works for me as note

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Avri, can we dial out to you, I know there are some
issues at the moment with the AC audio

  Avri Doria:i am got it back

  Avri Doria:i am back.

  Avri Doria:there is a principle hee.  one that defines a class of thing that
can be acted on, but still can be recalled by commuity action.  were else is
that spelled out.

  Avri Doria:any change is also contingent

  Stephanie perrin:I would also add that word changes. to folks who operate in
another language, may be non-trivial.

  Amr Elsadr:@Avri: +1

  Greg Shatan:Another issue -- we are talking about changes to the written
policy, not whether an action is policy or implementation.

  Alan Greenberg:My suggestion is the appeal part should be moved to the top.

  Amr Elsadr:These are three solid principles.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:belts and braces please put it in twice works

  Avri Doria:D1B possible langauge: an approximation An implementation team
should be able to make transparent changes to the implementation that do not
affect any policy aspects of the implementations.  Examples of such actions
include admin updates, error correction ... In any case, the community
maintains the ability to challenge any implementation change that may affect
policy.

  Nic Steinbach:I'm glad we got through this, but was this meeting not
scheduled for 1.5 hours?

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:on 2A,  Would "unintended" be a better word than
"unanticipated"?

  Stephanie perrin:+1 Avri

  Greg Shatan:These are apples and oranges.  See my comment above.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:do it now if we can

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:few minutes more will do I suspect

  Avri Doria:i see the point of 2 simlalry worded princples

  Alan Greenberg:I've got to leave. Sorry.

  Avri Doria:one for recommendation and one for implemnetation.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:works for me @avri

  Greg Shatan:Implementationists

  Greg Shatan:Implementors

  Greg Shatan:Imps

  Nic Steinbach:implementationsist -sounds like a school of fine art :)

  Avri Doria:i vote for imps

  Greg Shatan:Similar wording sounds good.

  Greg Shatan:But let's not be impetuous.

  Avri Doria:unfortuantely i have a conflict in singapore with the technical
advisory mtg.

  Greg Shatan:The Implementationists were known for their heavy use of impasto.

  Marika Konings:Further details about the session in Singapore can be found
here: http://singapore49.icann.org/en/schedule/wed-policy-implementation

  Nic Steinbach:@Greg lol

  Avri Doria:technical experts team, that is the proper name,

  Avri Doria:so unless tha tmoving moves again, it already moved once, i will
probably miss the Singapore meeting.  apologies.

  Avri Doria:the singapore P&I mtg

  Marika Konings:I can put something in, in brackets?

  Amr Elsadr:@Marika: I personally think the language in the questions is good.
:)

  Phil Marano:Thanks everyone.  See you in Singapore.

  Amr Elsadr:Thanks everyone. Bye.

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:bye

  Greg Shatan:Bye all.

  Marika Konings:@Amr - I think the second one is more difficlut ;-)

  Brian Winterfeldt:Bye everyone!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:lot done good call thanks bye