ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 16 July 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 16 July 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 11:43:13 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 23rd July at 19:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 16 July 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140716en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140716en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Alan Greenberg - ALAC

J Scott Evans - BC

Phil Karnofsky - IPC

Tom Barrett - RrSG

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

Michael Graham - IPC

Apologies:

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Wolf Knoben - ISPCP

Klaus Stoll - NPOC

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 16 July

 Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation Working Group meeting
of 16 July 2014

  Michael R. Graham:Holding on phone

  Alan Greenberg:On now.

  J. Scott:I am on hold with provider

  Terri Agnew:I have alerted the operator

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:the operator just put me through

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:exactly Alan and it is in that phase our work comes
into play if complete

  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks, that is very helpful.

  Alan Greenberg:Mea culpa!

  Mary Wong:To add to Marika's point - the EWG was not a group chartered by
the GNSO Council. The PDP Marika and Alan mentioned is something the GNSO
does have to do at the request of the Board. This particular WG is tasked
with discussing/generating recommendations for when the GNSO  is developing
recommendations.

  Michael R. Graham:@Mary -- Well put as to PIWG's task!

  Mary Wong:Thx Michael - as J Scott noted on the chairs' call, there's so
much detail we're dealing with now that we may need to keep reminding
ourselves of what the general task/scope is!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:yes I am here twice I need a bigger screen for the
next 15 mins or so before I need to go mobile only

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:we defined

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:we had sub team that reviewed and put forward common
understanding' of terms used here

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:or was that another WG :-). - Micheal?

  Stephanie Perrin:Yes and it seems to me necessary, or you wind up with
considerable dissatisfaction with outcomes...

  Michael R. Graham:@Cheryl #2 -- Yes, we defined both of these terms -- I
believe the Working Definitions are available on the Wiki -- @Marika?

  Marika Konings:@Stephanie - in the PPSAI there is also a list of
definitions that was developed at the start of the WG discussions. These are
posted on the wiki.

  Michael R. Graham:@Marika -- "Great Minds . . . "

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:agreed Stephanie but I believe we have (GNSO / WG's)
done some definitions work

  Marika Konings:@Michael - yes, correct, working definitions are posted
here: https://community.icann.org/x/9xrRAg

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:OK. Terri call to my mobile in 5 please...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:Stepping away for 5 then mobile.

  Stephanie Perrin:@Marika, yes, It seems to me they need to be socialized
before proceeding to the next phase but it was more the EWG that was relying
on undefined terms.

  Mary Wong:@Stephanie, while we don't have the same level of insight into
the EWG's workings as you do, as noted, that wasn't a GNSO-chartered group.
For the most part, GNSO WGs follow a remarkably consistent process as to
chartering, initial tasks etc.

  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks Mary, that is very encouraging!

  Mary Wong::)

  Stephanie Perrin:@Alan, precisely.  this is one may that policy gets
embedded without it being approved first, if an unstated definition gets
used that assumes a policy position...eg. adequate being a great
example....one person's adequate is another person's burden, and drawing
that line requires a policy decision re that placing of risk/burden/cost.

  Stephanie Perrin:way not may

  Mary Wong:@Alan, is it possible/likely that the New gTLDs PDP is a bit of
an outlier b/c of its novelty and immense scope? Also, since 2007, the GNSO
processes have been revamped and improved - does that make a diff in your
view?

  Alan Greenberg:@Mary. yes, in spads. We are trying to fix all manner of
ills generated by the nGLTD PDP and its follow-on actions, and I do not
think (for anumber of reasons including how much our focus on process has
eveolved)  that this situation will or can ever come up again.

  Alan Greenberg:spads=spades

  Mary Wong:@Alan, thanks - good to know :)

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:bye all

  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks, by till next week!

  J. Scott:Bye