ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 23 July 2014

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation WG meeting - 23 July 2014
  • From: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:36:57 +0000

Dear All,

The next Policy and Implementation Working Group teleconference is scheduled
next week on Wednesday 30th July at 19:00 UTC for 1 hour.

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working
group call held on Wednesday 23 July 2014 at 19:00 UTC at:

 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140723en.mp3>
http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-policy-implementation-20140723en.mp3

On page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#jul

Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Alan Greenberg - ALAC

J Scott Evans - BC

Tom Barrett - RrSG

Cheryl Langdon-Orr - At-Large

Stephanie Perrin - NCUC

Michael Graham - IPC

Olevie Kouami - NPOC

Chuck Gomes - RySG

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben - ISPCP

Avri Doria-NCSG

Brian Winterfeldt-IPC

Greg Shatan-IPC

Anne Aikman-Scalese-IPC

Apologies:

Nic Steinbach-RrSG

ICANN staff:

Marika Konings

Mary Wong

Amy Bivins

Steve Chan

Terri Agnew

 Wiki page:  <https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag>
https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri Agnew

For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Wednesday 23 July

Marika Konings:Welcome to the Policy & Implementation WG meeting of 23 July
2014

  J. Scott Evans:Greetings all.

  Tom Barrett - EnCirca:on adobeconnect for now

  Michael R. Graham:We appear to be getting down to the dedicated few.

  Terri Agnew:Brian Winterfeldt has joined

  Terri Agnew:Greg Shatan has joined

  Terri Agnew:Anne Aikman Scalese has joined audio

  Greg Shatan:I am getting down to the hold music at the "conference calling
centre" -- at least until I got cut off.  Redialing.

  Terri Agnew:trying to find line causing noise

  Greg Shatan:I am now on the audio bridge. (And on mute, so hopefully not
causing noise!)

  Stephanie Perrin:Sorry to be late!

  Terri Agnew:Welcome Stephanie

  Mary Wong:Some of what Marika is describing are suggestions/questions for
this group to decide regarding what this proposed Policy Guidance Process
should look like. The idea here is that the PGP should be more
rigorous/concrete than the more lightweight Policy Input Process (PDP).

  Mary Wong:With the end result that the GNSO Council will have at its
disposal two additional processes on top of the existing PDP.

  Mary Wong:(Sorry, Policy Input Process two comments up should have been
abbreviated as PIP rather than PDP!)

  Terri Agnew 2:As a reminder, plesae make sure to mute when not speaking

  Terri Agnew 2:Olevie Kouami has disconnected. We are trying to reach him
again.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:SHouldn't there be a decision point when the letter
comes from the Board to determine whether the request is  policy or
implementation?

  Marika Konings:@Anne - I think the hope is that it is no longer relevant -
the question should be what the desired outcome of the deliberations would
be.

  Marika Konings:and that would determine which process is followed

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sorry I will speak up next time...

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Do either of these processes for discussion involve
obtaining any cross-community input?  ICANN gets hung up where the Board is
trying to reconcile differences in policy and implementation approach from
different groups. Can we anticipate this and provide for any process that
suggests a manner for getting together with the GAC, ALAC etc earlier and
using the recommended Policy Guidance process as a mechansim for resolving
difference before they get to the Board level?  In other words, is there any
way for the community to devlop a process for development of consensus
policy guidance from all the bodies that provide policy input?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry but I have to drive again and will just be
listening.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:if we have Long Form and Sort Form PDP's. the choice
node to go that way could occur as options at several points or in several
circa stances... se need to explore that YES

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Sort should read SHORT sigh auto correct

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes agree to Anne's point. input from as wide as
possible as early as practical in all circumstances...

  Mary Wong:@Cheryl, perhaps this WG could note that as a desirable avenue
to explore; not certain going on to actually create one is within scope of
this WG .... ?

  Mary Wong:Meaning the Short PDP

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup @Mary

  Terri Agnew 2:Olevie has rejoined audio

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:creating more Forms other than the PDP we all have now
needs extra and probably external to our WG work but we need to explore

  Marika Konings:@Alan, which PDP are you referring to?

  Alan Greenberg:The one that is current??

  Marika Konings:curative rights?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Yes Marika a good point re the PDP Guidelines here in
pre Board Vote phase...

  Alan Greenberg:I was thinking of IRTP-D. The issue of scrapping the FOA.

  Marika Konings:ah, ok

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Thresholds and triggers need to be fully explored at
many of these decision nodes in our processes.  but would be well worthwhile
exploring

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:AND is consist and predictable

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:that was to Chucks last point

  Mary Wong:@Stephanie, your point on measuring sucesss may be something the
existing Data Metrics for Policy Making (DMPM) WG could be looking at too.

  Stephanie Perrin:Thanks Mary, Maybe I should take a look at this...I do
see that in some of the discussion re is it a policy or implementation, one
of our central problems is confusing outcomes...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:they are a spectrum in my view

  Stephanie Perrin:indeed I think they are....and this is why I thought
logic models might help clarify this....and enable us to draw lines as to
where the fall, and who (which committee) ought to be addressing them.  In
terms of public consultation, if there is robust consultation regardless of
whether something is considered to be one or the other, perhaps the
distinction is less important

  Alan Greenberg:The question becomes: when we discover something with a
policy flovour during iplementation, do we exit the implenetation process
for an excursion down policy-lane?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:obviously there are decision modes and splits to
pathway. Impl v PDP / pDp. but that may not be pure bulian either Greg we
may always need a loop or few with  routes "out identified"  clearly
predicted and defined

  Greg Shatan:Are chickens and eggs binary or on a spectrum?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:you all have covered what I wanted to say I put it up
to say it was now identifiable in my view as a 'bad' question

  Alan Greenberg:Well, few single chickens flip back and forth between the
two stages. For any given entity it is a monotonic process.

  Alan Greenberg:Sort of like cooking. Part of the process is
"implementation" - just letting it cook and develop. But periodically we
taste and add ingredients - that is changing the policy!

  Alan Greenberg:Sadly, since this is going so well, we are over time.

  Michael R. Graham:Both:  They are on spectrum of the life of a chicken,
but are clearly recognizable as different -- and subject to different
cooking methods.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese:Sorry I must exit.  Good session!  Anne

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good call guys I'll discuss some of it further with my
hens as I let them out to graze today in a few hours:-)   but seriously also
give some feedback to the Metrics WG that we probably do have some cross
over points to watch in our work

  Mary Wong:@CLO, noted re DMPM crossover.

  Jonathan Frost:Thanks Chuck.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thx Mary