ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez <crg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:01:50 -0600

Dear Chuck

let me summarize my worries in a few sentences, based on the comments you will
hear in the recording. While the new mechanisms look very useful and elegant in
print, I worry about the checks and balances in so far as "who triggers them
and why". Particularly the third one worries me a lot.

I come from a very old school of "separation of powers", where one entity
develops policy, another separate one executes it, and if there is trouble they
both can go to a third entity to solve their differences. The recent letter of
Senators Thune and Rubio seems to come from this very same school of thought,
as they ask for clear organisational and or structural separations of functions.

Since the gTLD came into full swing, I could positively see that some kind of
similar division of powers evolving within ICANN> a separate Division *GDD* was
created to deal with (and hopefully be responsible) of the new contracts and
collecting monies, as well as an enforced separate group looking at the
compliance of those contracts, just to avoid any conflict of interest in the
GDD with their clients.

For that reason I believe we should be very careful that the mechanisms
proposed are used only when there are proven problems downstream, i.e. mainly
with the GDD and or compliance functions and not to everybody for every
possible argument.

If the mechanism  are used within the GNSO at their discretion, without a well
grounded reason from their execution and compliance point of view, they risk to
become a closed feedback loop, that may put into question the policy
development process that initiated the whole issue.

For that reason, my general comments should be seen under my question of "who
or what, and on what ground triggers those elegant mechanisms", so as to avoid
the feeling that the GNSO get additional discretionary powers trough them. I
think this is important in these time of increased awareness of Accountability
and Transparency.

Happy to continue in the next WG session if I can make it.

Cheers

Carlos Raúl Gutiérrez

email: crg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: carlos.raulg