ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 12:48:36 +0200

Hi Chuck,

On Apr 1, 2015, at 1:44 AM, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Chuck Gomes] Did you see the compromise language I proposed on the RySG
> recommendation?  I didn’t test it with the RySG but I think it would
> accomplish what was intended in the suggested change.  The RySG did not
> intend the change from ‘community’ to ‘GNSO’ to mean that community members
> outside of the GNSO could not contribute but rather to reflect the fact that
> the GNSO is responsible for gTLD policy work and hence should be responsible
> for challenging any implementation steps that it believes is beyond what was
> intended in the policy.  That said, I am not prepared to fight hard for the
> change.

If by that language, you mean this:

> Principle D.1.b: “Changes to GNSO implementation guidance need to be examined
> bythe GNSO Council or  another appropriate entity as designated by the GNSO
> Council onwhere they fall in the spectrum of policy and implementation. In
> all cases, thecommunityGNSO maintains the right to challenge whether such
> updates need furtherreview for policy implications while at the same time
> recognizing that all impacted parties in the community should be given the
> opportunity to contribute to the GNSO challenge process.”

Having been one who objected to the change suggested by the RySG on this one, I
think this modification would do nicely. Although (and please forgive me for
picking on this) — again…, since we do have a very inclusive definition of the
word “stakeholders” in the initial report, I would replace “all impacted
parties in the community” with “all stakeholders”.

Thanks.

Amr