ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

[gnso-policyimpl-wg] P&I homework on global public interest

  • To: "GNSO-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <GNSO-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] P&I homework on global public interest
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 07:23:02 -0400

Hi,

I left the last meeting with a homework item to try and deal with the
issue of Global Public Interest and the Board's activities vis a vis
responding to AC comments while maintaining the responsibility of the
GNSO for policy recommendations.

I tried to be minimalist in offering changes.  I suggest a change in
principle 2 and added a recommendation.

They are in the following Drive doc for comment/suggested changes and
are appended below for reference:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tk0wz2gBPslTv3bA44J2Ie34FOCBG6bKf9TvhpclOUc/edit?usp=sharing

avri

--

Principle

Modify from:

2. The development and implementation of policy must have a basis in and
adhere to standards of fairness, notice, transparency, integrity,
objectivity, predictability and due process consistent with ICANN's core
values.

to:

2. The development and implementation of policy must have a basis in and
adhere to standards of fairness, notice, transparency, integrity,
objectivity, predictability and due process consistent with ICANN's core
values and its commitment to the global public interest as outlined  in
the the ICANN  Articles of Incorporation

Recommendation related to community

Perhaps we need a special section of Board responsibilities

Add:

Whenever the Board discovers that the recommendations of the GNSO do
not, in their view, reflect a broader consensus based on the advice of
the Advisory Communities or public comments,  it will use existing
process mechanisms to either send the issue back to the GNSO for further
consideration or initiate broader community discussion.  All final
recommendations would still be the responsibility of the GNSO.

---