ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 13:54:58 +0200

Hi,

On Apr 7, 2015, at 8:44 PM, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[SNIP]

> Let me just share one personal thought.  I think it would be okay to do a
> test of the GIP process if there is a case where it might be useful even
> before it is formally approved as a process as long as it was clear that it
> is simply a test of a process that has not yet been officially approved.  I
> don’t think that would be much different than using ad-hoc process as is
> currently done.  I would add though that I think that would probably be more
> problematic for the GGP and EPDP because those processes have some binding
> implications.

True. There are examples of ad-hoc processes used in the past by the board, by
staff and also by the community. If there is an occasion that any actor
(possibly not exclusive to the GNSO) decides to use an ad-hoc process modelled
on the GIP as outlined in the WG’s initial report, I don’t see any harm.

However, in principle, I would always advise against the use of ad-hoc
processes if others are available. So I guess I’m saying I’d rather the GIP is
used as a formal process once/if adopted. I certainly wouldn’t encourage the
initiation of an ad-hoc process just to have a test run of a GIP. :)

Just sayin’.

Thanks.

Amr