ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

RE: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: "Aikman-Scalese, Anne" <aaikman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Amr Elsadr'" <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: "J. Scott Evans" <jscottevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 09:13:49 -0700

I think Anne is making some solid points here.

j. scott evans - associate general counsel - adobe - 408.536.5336 -
jscottevans@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx
To: aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx; gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 01:34:06 +0000

Amr et al,
Perhaps what I am saying is that the WG could recommend that in responding to
GAC Communiques to the Board and using the tool that Amr showed us, the Council
 could identify one of the three processes as an appropriate method of
addressing each of the issues e.g. a notation such as “GNSO Council to address
via GIP, or “to address via GGP” or “to address via EPDP” or GNSO Council
considers a full PDP is required
 to address this issue” or “GNSO Council believes this issue was already
addressed via PDP – see Final Report of X Working Group Paragraph Y”.

The point here is the same that Greg is making.    The GAC Communique is
exactly the type of communication that should trigger consideration of these
new processes
 by the GNSO and so it would indeed be handy for the Council to consider this
possibility in relation to the form being developed for response to GAC
Communiques.

The suggestion was definitely not that ONE of the new processes would be
suitable for response to the GAC. The suggestion was rather that the GNSO
Council could,
 in responding to the GAC Communique that is sent to the Board, state that
intends to use one of the new tools to foster GNSO Input (GIP) or Guidance
(GGP) or Policy Development (EPDP) to respond to the GAC’s advice.  These three
options are of course NOT exclusive
 since Council is free to respond however it may want to respond to GAC
communiques.  However, we are trying to standardize processes and build trust
and as Greg notes, it would be a shame if the processes were recommended,
adopted, and then never actually
 used.

I think it is clear that the timeline will not permit use of these processes to
be listed in a response to the Singapore meeting, but it does seem that they
 could be incorporated down the line and hopefully no later than the Dublin
communique  (as a goal in terms of time frames.)
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese, Of Counsel

Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP |

One South Church Avenue Suite 700 | Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611

(T) 520.629.4428 | (F) 520.879.4725

AAikman@xxxxxxxxxx

www.LRRLaw.com