ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-policyimpl-wg]

Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document

  • To: "gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-policyimpl-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-policyimpl-wg] Latest version of the comment review document
  • From: Amr Elsadr <aelsadr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 19:25:09 +0200

Hi,

I agree with Marika and Michael, but may have read less into what Anne was
suggesting. I don’t think it was her intent to suggest that they processes be
used before this WG’s recommendations are endorsed by the G-Council and adopted
by the ICANN Board. Seems to me that she only (rightly) pointed out an area
where the processes that we are developing may be of particular usefulness. I
certainly agree with that.

On the other hand, I don’t share the concern that others may have regarding
these processes never being put to good use. In my humble experience, I believe
that there have been numerous occasions in the not too distant past where
useful solutions like the ones we’ve come up with would have made things a lot
easier for the GNSO Council to do its work. This isn’t exclusive to GAC Advice
either. Specification 13 of the RA is one issue that comes to mind — where the
ICANN Board specifically asked for GNSO feedback on something impacting gTLD
policy development.

I don’t see why there should be a concern about this WG’s recommendations not
being effectively used, when there is a clear and practical need for them as
tools at the GNSO’s disposal.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Amr