ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-pdp]

RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Action Items From Thursday's Call and Updated Draft PDP-WT WORK PLAN

  • To: Liz Williams <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>, Margie Milam <Margie.Milam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ppsc-pdp] Action Items From Thursday's Call and Updated Draft PDP-WT WORK PLAN
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:51:18 -0700

Liz,

Thanks so much for your ideas and energy to get things going!  Glen is working
on another scheduling exercise to see if we can come to a more convenient time
for all.

I do want to respond to your concern about time being spent on how the work
should be done rather than actually doing the work, and Margie's role with
regard to "starting that drafting effort".

It is important for the whole work team to understand that this team will be
led by the team itself, it is incumbent on the community, as represented by
this group, to decide how to organize the work to be done and to direct any
drafting effort that occurs.  This is not the role of ICANN staff.  Some of you
are very familiar with Annex A of the Bylaws and I'm sure you who are more
expert have a strong sense of how you think things should occur.  There are
also others on the team who are newer to the policy development process and
just beginning to think about various new approaches.  Hopefully we will find a
better time for future calls, and you can share some of your suggestions to the
team in real-time, but meanwhile we need to give the group a chance to
self-organise the work as it sees fit.

Staff does not yet have an assignment from the team to draft anything and we
will not "start drafting" until the group defines what/how they would like us
to proceed.  We are very willing to jump in and draft language as requested (we
too are very excited to see progress made in this area!), but staff is not
driving the process.

Separately, staff has an additional background document that does expand on
some of the ideas and approaches already suggested in the list already
distributed, we will be sharing this with the team shortly, but there is
nothing official or "final" about this, I would suggest thinking of this new
document as a expanded set of ideas and questions with few if any "answers".

I hope this helps explain the role of staff and next steps, at least from our
perspective.  Jeff may have further thoughts in terms of the overall job to be
done and the current activities of the team.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm and eagerness to make progress quickly.  We're
totally with you on that!

Best, Liz