ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

[gnso-ppsc-wg] Some thoughts on the application, SOIs, and DOIs

  • To: gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Some thoughts on the application, SOIs, and DOIs
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 07:52:01 -0700

I was thinkng about the privacy issues that could surface, although I
don't believe we've had a problem to date. But to help minimize that
possibility it might be appropriate for the guidelines to recommend that
the application, SOIs, and DOIs contain an explicit notice of how the
information will be used and that their participation in the WG, all
communications within the WG (email, conf. calls, etc) will be public.
The application, SOIs, and DOIs would state that by submission of each
the submitting party is agreeing to such use. This may mitigate privacy
issues within most jurisdictions.

Also, to clarify GD's comments, WG applicants SHOULD NOT be allowed to
designate anything asked for as confidential. If they have concerns,
they should not participate. In those rare circumstances where a WG may
be operating under the condition that certain information will be
confidential, a separate call for participation and application should
be developed for that specific situation. But I agree with the WT that
this does not need to be formalized in the guidelines as it will be a
rare occurrence. NOTE: That this should never happen anyway in regards
to consensus policy work due to requirements in the RAA and Registry
Agreements.

Tim