ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc-wg]

Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Your feedback requested: section 4.1 General Meeting logistics

  • To: Working Group <gnso-ppsc-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ppsc-wg] Your feedback requested: section 4.1 General Meeting logistics
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:58:08 -0400

comments interspersed.

On 17 May 2010, at 10:47, Marika Konings wrote:

> [...]
>
> The GNSO Secretariat is responsible for communicating the timing and dial-in
> details for meetings that take place by conference call. Universal Standard
> Time (UTC) is used as a standard reference (local times can be found using
> www.timeanddate.com <http://www.timeanddate.com> ). For most countries, toll
> free dial-in numbers will be provided. The GNSO Secretariat will also be able
> to assist with providing dial-out support if required by a WG member(s). As
> described above, meetings are normally recorded and transcribed. To
> facilitate remote participation and sharing of documents, WGs may make use of
> various online connect services.
>
> WGs may opt to organize face-to-face meetings during ICANN meetings to take
> advantage of those members attending and to open its session to the broader
> ICANN community. It should be noted that not all WG members may attend an
> ICANN meeting, a factor that should be weighed in deciding whether to arrange
> a face-to-face session. Remote participation facilities might be available
> for those not attending an ICANN meeting in person.
>
> Apart from face-to-face sessions during ICANN meetings, WGs might decide that
> it is vital for its deliberations and/or reaching consensus to meet in person
> for a certain amount of time (e.g. day, two days). If funding is required to
> organize such a meeting (e.g. travel expenses), a request should be made to
> the Chartering Organization for approval.
>
> A WG may request additional tools or applications if considered necessary to
> achieve the objectives set out in its Charter.
>
> The Chair, with support of ICANN Staff, if required, is expected to circulate
> the agenda to the WG ideally at least 24 hours in advance. At the start of a
> meeting, the Chair should review the agenda and WG members may propose items
> to be added or changed.
>
> Following the meeting, an MP3 recording and/or transcript will be made
> available for those who were not able to attend and/or other interested
> parties. In addition, a WG may consider using action items and/or notes from
> the meeting to record the main decisions or follow-up items from a meeting.
> The action items or meeting notes should be circulated in a timely manner in
> order to allow for sufficient preparation or response ahead of the next
> meeting.
>
> Comments:
>
> INTA: The Committee applauds the considerable thought ICANN has put into
> developing logistics to run the WG meetings. The Committee is pleased to
> offer the following comments to assist ICANN:
> · For WG conference calls, ICANN proposed providing toll-free dial-in numbers
> for most countries. The Committee recommends that such toll-free dial-in
> numbers should be provided for all WG participants, unless doing so would be
> extraordinarily unfeasible, so that no WG member is barred from participating
> in WG conference calls due to cost (See Section 4.1, paragraph 2).

this is taken care of by having the call back facility for those for whom there
are no numbers.

> · it is only natural that a WG, given ICANN’s Internet origins, use online
> services to share documents and other communications relating to its
> activities. Due to the sensitive nature of some of the WG activities, such
> services must be secure to protect the confidentiality of any sensitive
> information (See Section 4.1, paragraph 2).

i did not know of any WG material that were going to be confidental.  i thought
all was transparent.

> · the Committee applauds advance circulation of WG meeting agendas, but
> circulating the agendas 24 hours before meetings provides insufficient lead
> time for WG members to review the agendas in light of the other professional
> and personal obligations of WG members. Also, in order to be better able to
> accommodate changes to the agenda, the Committee recommends allowing WG
> members to propose additions or changes to the agenda before, as well as at
> the start of, each WG meeting. Allowing additions and changes to the agenda
> before each meeting may increase the likelihood that those items can be
> discussed at the meeting and that such discussions can be meaningful, since
> advance notice of agenda changes may lead to more informed discussions (See
> Section 4.1, paragraph 6).

2 days might be better.  and of course people can suggest changes in email
before the meeting.

> · For WG conference calls, ICANN proposed providing toll-free dial-in numbers
> for most countries. The Committee recommends that such toll-free dial-in
> numbers should be provided for all WG participants, unless doing so would be
> extraordinarily unfeasible, so that no WG member is barred from participating
> in WG conference calls due to cost (See Section 4.1, paragraph 2).

this is dealt with by having the operators call people were there is no toll
free.

> · it is only natural that a WG, given ICANN’s Internet origins, use online
> services to share documents and other communications relating to its
> activities. Due to the sensitive nature of some of the WG activities, such
> services must be secure to protect the confidentiality of any sensitive
> information (See Section 4.1, paragraph 2).

it is all transparent. no?

> · the Committee applauds advance circulation of WG meeting agendas, but
> circulating the agendas 24 hours before meetings provides insufficient lead
> time for WG members to review the agendas in light of the other professional
> and personal obligations of WG members. Also, in order to be better able to
> accommodate changes to the agenda, the Committee recommends allowing WG
> members to propose additions or changes to the agenda before, as well as at
> the start of, each WG meeting. Allowing additions and changes to the agenda
> before each meeting may increase the likelihood that those items can be
> discussed at the meeting and that such discussions can be meaningful, since
> advance notice of agenda changes may lead to more informed discussions (See
> Section 4.1, paragraph 6).

maybe 2 ....

> CG: The last sentence [of the 3rd paragraph] says, “Remote participation
> facilities might be available for those not attending an ICANN meeting in
> person.” Suggested change: “Best efforts should be made to provide remote
> participation facilities for those not attending an ICANN meeting in person.”

good  change

> GD: Section 4.1 mentions the process by which a working group can request a
> face-to-face meeting, supported by ICANN Staff and (potentially) including
> ICANN funding for travel expenses.  As we have experienced recently in other
> groups, this type of request should not be undertaken casually.  The call for
> a face-to-face meeting must coincide with an urgent deliverable (report,
> recommendation, etc.) on the part of the working group, the delay of which
> would cause disruptions to ongoing work in other areas.  Even in situations
> where this is true, there are numerous issues regarding geographic balance
> and stakeholder representation on the face-to-face group, equitable financial
> support for travel (given differences in travel distance and incurred
> expenses), and the disruption to other groups by having Staff present at the
> face-to-face meeting.  We ask that the PPSC WG-WT consider the experiences of
> other working groups who have either (a) requested or (b) successfully held
> face-to-face meetings, and modify their recommendations accordingly.

request for f2f  should be rare ad well considered.

a.