ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ppsc]

FW: [gnso-ppsc] GNSO Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) working teams

  • To: "gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ppsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: [gnso-ppsc] GNSO Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) working teams
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:30:22 -0800

Forwarded from Liz Gasster :

Konstantinos and all,

We will work on resolving the wiki posting challenges, but in the interim I
attach a Word file of the text of the three charters we are considering, and
I've also copied them below for your reference.  Perhaps for now it would be
easier to communicate in email and edit in "track changes". In the interim, I
will update the wiki with revised language as needed.

Hope this helps.  Thanks, Liz

Description of GNSO Process Steering Committee (from 16 October Implementation
Plan)
The GNSO Process Steering Committee will be responsible for recommending and
reviewing any processes used within the GNSO and its council for developing
policy recommendations. Recommendations are made in the BGC WG report as
approved by the Board for substantial changes to the processes used by the GNSO
council for developing policy. The immediate goal of this Steering Committee is
to develop recommendations for all process changes needed to meet the
requirements of the BGC WG report as approved by the Board. Once the first set
of changes has been implemented, the charter of the GNSO Process Steering
Committee could be expanded to include the responsibility for reviewing the
functioning of the new processes and for recommending any further changes,
should they be required. One example of such continuing work could involve the
review of the post delivery reports of working groups that has been suggested
in the BGC WG report.
The GNSO Process Steering committee could, if so tasked, also take on new tasks
related to processes within the GNSO. Another set of tasks, for example, might
involve setting up formal procedures, guidelines and mechanisms to be used
within the GNSO for policy initiation and policy deliberation. Future work
could also include establishing guidelines for the practice of drafting teams
as used in the GNSO council and other ad-hoc mechanisms that are used by the
council from time to time. Another area that may involve future work items for
this committee includes establishing guidelines for the interactions between
the ICANN volunteers of the GNSO and its council and the ICANN policy staff.
This steering committee will also be responsible for recommending any changes
in the structure of standing committees to the full council.
Two initial work items are clearly delineated in the BGC WG Report:

 *   Establishing new rules for the Policy Development Process (PDP) that are
based on an open community Working Group model for the deliberative process
 *   Establishing procedures and guidelines for the functioning of the policy
Working Groups.
The steering committee will be responsible for identifying any other process
work items that would be required to implement the BGC WG recommendations as
approved by the Board and for coordinating work on those items.
Initial PPSC Work Teams: (page references are to BGC Working Group Report of 3
February 2008 as approved by the ICANN Board)

PDP Work Team <https://st.icann.org/gnso_transition/index.cgi?pdp_team>
This team will be responsible for reviewing the existing PDP in the bylaws and
recommending changes to the bylaws to the community and council based on an
open community WG model for the deliberative process.

Draft charter concepts for PDP work team for group discussion and consideration:

Develop and implement a proposal for a new policy development process for Board
review and approval that:

Is more flexible (Report, p. 21) with timelines that are consistent with the
task (p. 24);
Is better aligned with ICANN's consensus policies as defined in its contracts
with registries and registrars (Report, p. 22) and clearly distinguishes the
development of "consensus policies" from general policy advice the GNSO Council
may wish to provide to the Board (Report, p. 23);
Provides for periodic assessment to determine the effectiveness of revised
rules, processes, procedures and Is better aligned with ICANN's strategic plan
and operations plan (p. 24); and
Contains rules, processes and procedures that are more effective and efficient
as detailed further in the Report (pp. 24-25).

The BGC WG Report recommends that the current policy development process
defined in the ICANN bylaws be revised to incorporate a working group approach
and to make it more effective and responsive to ICANN's policy development
needs. The GNSO Council's policy development work is a critical part of ICANN's
function so it is particularly important that steps be taken that will make the
process more flexible and helpful for successful policy development.

The BGC WG Report recommends that a new policy development process emphasize
the importance of the work that must be done before launching a working group
or other policy development activity, including fact-finding specific policy
development goal (p. 25). The Report also recommends that a new PDP specify
certain policy activities that should be done ("including research,
consultation with constituencies, periods for public comment"), timelines
consistent with the complexity of the task; regular reporting to the Council as
established in the scoping phase; and a final report and public comment period
as in the current PDP (p. 24).
Working Group Work Team
<https://st.icann.org/gnso_transition/index.cgi?working_group_team>
This team will be responsible for making recommendations concerning, processes
and methods involved for the new WG model, including suggestions for transition
to the new model.

Draft charter concepts for Working Group work team for group discussion and
consideration:

Develop and implement a new GNSO Working Groups Model that Improves
inclusiveness Improves effectiveness, and Improves efficiency

According to the ICANN Board Governance Committee Working Group (BGC-WG) in its
3 February 2008 Report to the ICANN Board of Directors (see GNSO Improvements
Report<http://www.icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf>
 ), a new working group model should become the focal point for future GNSO
policy development activities. The new model should enhance the policy
development process by making it more inclusive and representative, and
-ultimately - more effective and efficient (see Report at 3). The BGC-WG
believes this approach can be a more constructive way of establishing areas of
agreement than task forces, where membership is limited and discussion can
become polarized along constituency lines. It also enables key parties to
become involved from the beginning and to work together to address complex
and/or controversial issues. According to the BGC-WG, appointing skilled chairs
and drafters, as well as proper scoping of the WG's objectives, will be
integral parts in development of a successful working group model. The BGC-WG
recommended that steps be taken immediately to move to a working group model
for future policy development work in the GNSO, developing appropriate
operating principles, rules and procedures and suggests drawing upon expertise
gained from policy development in the IETF, W3C, RIRs and other organizations.
Primary tasks would be to develop:

1. Appropriate operating principles, rules and procedures

2. Implementation plan