ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Updated survey: Please comment on this version ONLY

  • To: <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Updated survey: Please comment on this version ONLY
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:24:05 +1000

Hello Jeff,

>  Have we consulted with any
> professional survey organizations that could help us develop
> a truly objective and meaningful survey?

One of the discussions that came up in Lisbon with respect to expertise
for the GNSO was in the area of surveys.

I think it would be worthwhile having an external organisation actually
run the survey and report on whether the results are statistically
significant etc.  This will help build knowledge and expertise within
ICANN on the running of surveys.

Key issues include:

(1) getting the questions phrased in a neutral manner and also so that
the questions can be understood

(2) Defining the target market, and identifying how big of a sample of
the target market is necessary to get statistically significant results.
Example target markets could be internet users in general, domain name
holders, fortune 500 companies, members of GNSO constituencies,
intellectual property constituency members etc.

(3) Analysing the results of the survey and identifying if the outcomes
are statistically significant

Having a survey posted on an ICANN website, where various parties for or
against a particular outcome encourage their contacts to fill in the
survey in a particular way is not useful.    E.g presenting the results
of a survey as the view of domain name holders, when only fortune 500
companies respond is not appropriate.   On the other hand, presenting
results on what fortune 500 companies think is a useful piece of data,
just as presenting data on what a defined list of GNSO constituency
members think is also useful (e.g we could choose a random sample of all
members of GNSO constituencies from a list of all constituency members).
It is interesting that as far as I know we don't yet actually have a
definitive public list of members of GNSO constituencies.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin