ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Revised Proposals Chart Based on Today's Meeting

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-pro-wg] Revised Proposals Chart Based on Today's Meeting
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 14:39:03 -0700

As you well know, Tim, courts are generally even less efficient than the
UDRP.

I think we agree on a major point of this discussion, that
'sunrise'-type mechanisms are not the best way to address legal rights.
They are one way to help do that, which bring a whole other set of
problems and costs.  I agree that many domains can be used fairly, even
if they contain a famous mark.  On the other hand, there are lots of
domains that cannot be used fairly without consent of mark owner
(yahoo-secure-login.com, for example), and for which the world ought not
have to wait until they are used for a bad purpose before acting.  If
Yahoo! makes the effort to monitor for this type of abuse prospectively
(which we only do based upon past experience, and likely severity of
harm to our users), then we ought to get quick action from the registrar
or registry (thus far the only parties to profit from the activity,
other than ICANN) to protect the public from fraud done in connection
with our brand.

Same is true, with less dramatic consequences, for any typosquatted
domain.  Yet any typosquatted domain could be a few mouseclicks away
from use as a phish site, and serves no legitimate purpose if not
authorized by the corresponding brand owner.  So we need a
post-registration process that deals with obvious brand typosquatting
and phishing sites in a much more rapid and effective manner than we
have today.

I am glad to hear you say that most reputable registration providers are
willing to have this discussion.  Let's get it on the calendar for San
Juan.  Do you think it reasonable to have a workshop to discuss the
issues publicly?

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.

NOTICE:  This communication is confidential and may be protected by
attorney-client and/or work product privilege.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify me by reply, and delete this
communication and any attachments.

  _____