ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

Re: [gnso-pro-wg] Revised Proposals Chart Based on Today's Meeting

  • To: PRO WG <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pro-wg] Revised Proposals Chart Based on Today's Meeting
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:05:14 +0200

On 16 maj 2007, at 23.39, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

am glad to hear you say that most reputable registration providers are willing to have this discussion. Let’s get it on the calendar for San Juan. Do you think it reasonable to have a workshop to discuss the issues publicly?

I think a workshop could be useful, but only if it includes all sides of the issue. I.e. it needs to include experts in protecting the commons, as well as people who can speak with authority on some of the adverse effects of stringent a-priori defense against typosquatting etc.. I would also be interested in hearing someone speak who can help explain how a system that is generally area specific , i.e. a mark only applies to a specific product area, maps to the online world were subject/product area boundaries become very fuzzy.

a.

Question and an aside: is there a formal definition of typosquatting? How may degrees of freedom are allowed in the transform - i am sure I am using the wrong terminology - what i mean is what is the maximum change in a word for it to be still considered a typosquat? Can the number of letters in the word change? is Tough a typosquat of Tuff (assuming Tuff is marked by someone somewhere and leaving aside whether the term was being used by volcanists). I guess my question boils down to whether there is an objective scientifically measurable criteria of when one term is a typosquat of another, or is it a subjective criteria? I know scientific work has been in related areas, e.g. readability of typo-laden text and am wondering if this work is applied to the science of typosquatting.