ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pro-wg]

Re: [gnso-pro-wg] FW: gnso-pro-wg: New Definitions

  • To: PRO WG <gnso-pro-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pro-wg] FW: gnso-pro-wg: New Definitions
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 16:53:40 +0200

On 17 maj 2007, at 16.10, Rosette, Kristina wrote:

I don't know if these made it to the list, so I'm forwarding Victoria's suggestions. (Thanks for pulling these together, Victoria.) I had some proposed revisions so I've attached a redline and a clean copy.

RPM: broadened to include eligibility and membership authentication and second-level name selection criteria.

I think this is a good addition, but it still does not define eligibility and membership authentication a form of RPM, nor do i think it should, so does not change my view of the principles/ recommendations..

specifically,

Rights Protection Mechanisms may achieve this purpose indirectly through the adoption and implementation of strict eligibility or membership authentication requirements and second-level name selection criteria.

as you indicate in your definition this is an indirect methods of achieving a similar effect, which means that it cannot be a subspecies of the thing being defined but is rather another thing in itself.

I also still believe that there may be other mechanisms, perhaps yet to be created, that will also achieve a similar effect while not actually being RPMs.

Rights of Others: Had so many objections to this definition that I didn't even know where to start. It's not sufficiently precise as to be accurate. Someone else want to take a stab at it?

I actually thought it was quite a good definition and did contain a fair degree of specificity. Depending on other versions that may yet be submitted, I hope that this definition can persist in the document as at least an alternative definition if not a supported or agreed upon definition.

a.