ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-raa-dt]

Re: [gnso-raa-dt] FW: Expected staff inputs to RAA Working Group

  • To: Holly Raiche <h.raiche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-raa-dt] FW: Expected staff inputs to RAA Working Group
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:30:03 +0000

On 16 Nov 2009, at 02:32, Holly Raiche wrote:

> Hi Steven
>
> I've had a quick look through the SSAC Advisories. My suggestions are:
>
> SAC41 - recommending against new TLDs (both g and cc) not use DNS redirection
> and synthesized DNS responses  (wildcarding).  This issue is also addressed
> in SAC  032 and SAC 006)
> SAC040 - recommends steps/security measures registrars can take
> SAC 038 - calling for a registrar abuse point of contact that has someone
> with the technical competence to respond on a 24/7 basis
> SAC 033 and 025 - about the accuracy of WHOIS data - this is already in the
> RAA so maybe the provisions just need strengthening
> SAC028 - recommends how registrars can reduce  phishing attacks
> SAC 024 and 022 - against Domain Name Front Running.
>
> I'm not sure all of these are appropriate, but they all raise issues that
> could be addressed either as a rule or, at the least, a recommendation. (and
> for that matter, do we want something in the RAA that at least suggests that
> registrars should heed SAC recommendations where appropriate?

That's unreasonable

If registrars were to "heed" all their recommendations you'd need to provide a
blood sample to register a domain name :)

How do you decide when it is "appropriate"?

Any large / serious registrar has no interest in upsetting their clients  or
running their business in such a manner as to damage registrants - they are,
after all, the source of income

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection