ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Front-Running
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:51:12 +0100

In message <3F4F8917F53D5344889872BDDF2F3D3ADD91B8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 15:19:14 on Wed, 5 Aug 2009, "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> writes

Personally speaking, I do not like all of the analogies that are being
made between the domain name industry and the financial markets.  The
financial markets were set up as just that...marketplaces for the sale
and purchase of securities (as an example).

They were originally set up to allow people to raise capital by selling shares in their companies. The fact that a resale market in those shares has developed is a by-product.

The domain name industry was set up to accommodate those that wanted to associate a domain name with an IP address (because IP addresses were thought to be too difficult to remember).

It doesn't necessarily need an "industry". My first domain name was a .co.uk, back in the days (pre-Nominet) when the registration process was done by volunteers.

They were intended to allow persons, companies, organizations, etc. to establish a presence and to allow others to reach them for the exchange of information, commerce, etc. It was not to establish a commodities market for domain names to be bought and sold.

But domain names can accidentally acquire a value, when a different registrant thinks it might be worth his while "buying" a registration.

A friend had registered goldfish.co.uk because that was his hobby. Several years later (warning: financial services involved) a bank decided to launch a credit card called "Goldfish". Guess what domain they had forgotten to investigate first.

(To save you looking, it's now registered to the bank which later bought the brand and closed it down).

The fact that a domainer market has developed is a by-product.

Anything that can be registered has a value. I have a "vanity" car registration plate, which in the UK (certainly at the time) could not be constructed on demand (for money or otherwise) by the registration authority. You had to buy it off the person who was originally randomly assigned it.

I am not making a value judgment about domaining or domainers. However, I personally believe that just because a registry or registrar does something that is perceived to be unfair to a domainer, or the fact that an act by a registry or registrar favors or disfavors a domainer, does not necessarily mean that that act or policy is a "registration abuse."

If someone registers a domain speculatively because they have reason to believe it might be of interest, *and* then "holds it to ransom", that is an abuse. If they offer to transfer it to a registrant for exactly the same cost as the registrant could have obtained it for themselves, then probably not.

You may think that scenario unlikely, but I have a friend who runs an ISP and whenever I tell him about a new venture I have, he rushes off and defensively registers several domain names that I would not (and do not) want. But if I did, I know he would transfer them to me at cost.

This may be controversial what I am about to say, but I will say it:  If
a registry decides to provide access to certain non-registration data to
certain parties, and the provision of such data could give the recipient
of that data some sort of superior knowledge about domain names or the
industry, I do not see that as a registration abuse that we should be
discussing or is even within the scope of this group.  In other words,
traffic data for unregistered names, for example, is by definition NOT
registration data.

It is data that can be used to decide to register domains. And is therefore registration data. At worst, it is lack-of-registration data, which is merely the negative of registration data, and in my world the continuum of data has both positive and negative values.
--
Roland Perry

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy