ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Interesting article not unrelated to the Front Running Discussions

• To: Paul Stahura <Paul.Stahura@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Interesting article not unrelated to the Front Running Discussions
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:21:00 -0500

i've always viewed my whois like a public listing in the white pages of the phone book. it never occurred to me to wonder who's looking it up. i don't think i care. if the FBI is looking it up, they probably have a good reason and i'd just as soon make it easy for them to reach me if Something Bad is happening in conjunction with one of my names.

by the way, i think that picture looks a lot more like a boat than a monster... but i have boats on the brain today (mine ran for 10 minutes and then inhaled a bunch of 10 year old carb-goo and died). :-)

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Paul Stahura wrote:

It may be that many law-abiding consumers would want to know when their whois was looked up. Sorta of like consumers can find out when their credit score has been checked, and by whom. I agree it doesn’t feel right to tell a registrant that the fbi looked up their whois. But the fbi could (and I think does) lookup whois information in a way that the registrar wouldn’t know it was the fbi, for example.

Sent: Wednesday, September 02, 2009 10:31 AM
To: Paul Stahura; jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: icann+rap@xxxxxxxx; gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Interesting article not unrelated to the Front Running Discussions

They are 2 different functions, but I would bet that most consumers don't know the difference, plus a number of registrars (and I am not in front of my computer to check Network Solutions) will ask you if you want to register a name if there is no match in the whois query. In other words a number of people use the whois as a domain availability check.

What I believe is more of a concern from a policy perspective is if I am conducting an investigation (as a consumer, law enforcement, IP owner, etc.) Into the ownership of a name and check a whois, that that information can be given out or monetized. Sure Network Solutions is only giving out the name searched, but is that the start of a slippery slope.

It just doesn't feel right.
Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Vice President, Law & Policy
NeuStar, Inc.
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: James M. Bladel ; Neuman, Jeff
Cc: George Kirikos ; gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed Sep 02 13:22:47 2009
Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Interesting article not unrelated to the Front Running Discussions
Don’t confuse the loch ness monster with a big fish
A domain availability check is different than a whois lookup.

From: owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rap- dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James M. Bladel
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:40 PM
To: Neuman,Jeff
Cc: George Kirikos; gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Interesting article not unrelated to the Front Running Discussions

Thanks, Jeff.  An excellent sighting / photo of the Loch Ness Monster.

J.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] Interesting article not unrelated to the Front
Running Discussions
Date: Tue, September 01, 2009 9:29 pm
To: "George Kirikos" <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>

New Service by Network Solutions (Reveal of all whois queries for the day).

http://domainnamewire.com/2009/09/01/network-solutions-displays-customers-whois-queries-to-the-public/

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Law & Policy

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rap- dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of George Kirikos
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 4:30 PM
To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Feedback on front running questions

As per my prior email:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-rap-dt/msg00308.html

I'd still appreciate a list of the domain names he attempted to
register, to see if they were "worthy" of being registered, i.e. their
quality.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
416-588-0269
http://www.leap.com/

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Marika Konings<marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Please find below the response received from Ben Edelman to the follow-up
> questions posed by members of the RAP WG. Note that the report was
> commissioned by the ICANN compliance department.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Marika
>
> From: Ben Edelman [mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 7:19 PM
> To: 'Stacy Burnette'
> Subject: RE: Questions on front running study
>
> Thanks for the further questions.
>
> Attached is the list of URLs where domain availability was checked. There > are fewer than 600 entries because some URLs were checked repeatedly,
> consistent with the methodology detailed in my report.
>
> To Greg's second question: As I mentioned in my prior message, I did not > have occasion to classify the particulars of each URL where I checked domain > availability. So I don't know the answer to that question. My tests began > at the URLs listed in the attachment. Then, as detailed in my methodology, > I used a domain registration or search link or form on (or linked from) each > page to check the availability of a test domain on each of the test URLs.
>
> On Greg's third question: Checking the registry would have been a fine > alternative to DNS queries. As Greg suggests, checking the registry would > offer certain benefits. With INFO as well as COM and NET, I'd need to run
> several kinds of checks, but it's certainly doable.  However, the
> methodology I used was the methodology described in my report, not the
> alternative Greg suggests.
>
> I'll let ICANN speak to the question of what part of ICANN requested the
> report.
>

- - - - - - - - -
phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com
handle OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy