ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse

  • To: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] Reverse Domain Name Hijacking as a Registration Abuse
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:26:43 -0500

On Sep 1, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Roland Perry wrote:

In message
<20090901095444.9c1b16d3983f34082b49b9baf8cec04a.e4672b37a5.wbe@xxxxxxxxx
ureserver.net>, at 09:54:44 on Tue, 1 Sep 2009, James M. Bladel <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx > writes
My only remaining question is one of scope:  Under what circumstances
would Reverse Hijacking (which is an abuse of process governing existing
names) be considered a "registration" abuse, versus a
"post-registration" or "use" abuse?

I've lost track of whether we decided that the only time there can ever be registration abuse is the instant a domain is first registered. (If we have, it certainly clears the decks).

But I would argue that the instant of invoking a dispute resolution process to change a domains registration under duress should also qualify.

And now I'm thinking along these lines, maybe activating any process to transfer a domain - what if someone is duped into making a transfer (maybe that's also one of the forms of 'theft' spoken of before) should be able to be scrutinised under our remit.

hm. i wouldn't have put Reverse Domain Hijacking in the remit of this group -- since it's mostly a UDRP thing and doesn't have much to do with domain-REGISTRATION abuse. my arm could be twisted i suppose, but my first reaction would be to kick this one over to a group working on UDRP-abuse issues...

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com
handle OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)