ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] How the public feels about due process and the internet

  • To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] How the public feels about due process and the internet
  • From: Roland Perry <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:55:54 +0100

In message <716d09d70910190639q49eec4a7me17a8fee6f892c58@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, at 09:39:02 on Mon, 19 Oct 2009, George Kirikos <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx> writes
""This poll shows people rely on the internet, and an overwhelming
majority think that access should only ever be withdrawn as the result
of court action."

I think the same would apply on other types of alleged abuse.

That's perhaps reading too much into it. You have to remember that most of the public regard downloading music as a "victimless crime".

Are they going to have another poll to discover whether turkeys would vote for Xmas?

>That's why my focus has been on solutions like Verified WHOIS, to allow
>parties to sort out their grievances in real court if there is an
>alleged abuse,

In my experience at least 90% of scammer sites have proxy whois (and the rest are probably called Mickey Mouse). Bringing these people out from behind that shield, so they can be prosecuted or sued, would certainly cheer up the many victims who have suffered very real losses.
--
Roland Perry