ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] How the public feels about due process and the internet

  • To: "George Kirikos" <icann+rap@xxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] How the public feels about due process and the internet
  • From: "Steingruebl, Andy" <asteingruebl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:21:08 -0600

On

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/18/public-poll-filesharers
-
> internet-ban
>
> which touched upon the issue of due process, albeit in the context of
> internet copyright infringement.
>
> "Nearly 70% of those surveyed said someone suspected of illegal
> downloading should have a right to a trial in court before
> restrictions on internet use were imposed. Only 16% were in favour of
> automatic curbs based on accusations by copyright holders such as
> musicians, as is proposed by the business department."

Of course we do take actions to curb people's behavior all of the time
without a trial in court.  You can be arrested, you can have your
drivers license temporarily suspended pending a trial, etc.  All without
a showing of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Now, we don't allow non-governments to do these sorts of things, but I
think most people polled couldn't differentiate between these things at
all.

- Andy