ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] latest draft of the Initial Report

  • To: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] latest draft of the Initial Report
  • From: martinsutton@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:06:56 +0000

Greg,

I note the additional paragraph for the Ctbersquatting backround section I
sent over has been omitted - any reason why?  I think that is a
representation of some of the discussions we had within the group and
should be included - I've certainly not had any comments back to object to
this, quite the contrary.  Could you therefore append the following
paragragh to this section:

Background (additional para)

The RAP WG recognises that the UDRP is a useful mechanism to counter some
elements of Cybersquatting but the scale of Cybersquatting is overwhelming
and the drain on cost and resources for brand-owners to respond in all
instances by using only the UDRP as a remedy is prohibitive.  In addition,
there is insufficient up-front protection mechanisms to prevent
registrants from initially registering infringing domains which are freely
monetized from the date of registration, via PPC and other online
advertising methods, thus earning revenue for the registrant.  They can
then simply wait until a UDRP action is commenced before they give up the
domain, without penalty.  The burden therefore rests with the trademark
owner to monitor, investigate and pursue litigation in order to provide
protection to Internet users. This burden often includes the registration
and ongoing management of large domain name portfolios, consisting mainly
of unwanted domains that benefit only the Registry, Registrar and ICANN
parties.  This approach is already a major concern for trademark owners,
in terms of cost and resources, with the existing level of gTLDs and
ccTLDs, let alone the anticipated growth of new gTLDs and IDNs.

Many thanks,

Martin

Martin C SUTTON
Group Risk
Manager, Group Fraud Risk and Intelligence | HSBC HOLDINGS PLC HGHQ
Group Security & Fraud Risk
8 Canada Square,Canary Wharf,London,E14 5HQ,United Kingdom

Phone.     +44 (0)20 7991 8074 / 7991 8074
Mobile.     +44 (0) 7774556680
Email.       martinsutton@xxxxxxxx

"Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Jan 20 2010 19:27

Mail Size: 2597591

<gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[gnso-rap-dt] latest draft of the Initial Report

  Entity
   HSBC Holdings plc - GMO

Dear RAPWG:

Hello, all.  Marika arrived safely at ICANN headquarters in southern
California, where she is now experiencing some uncharacteristically dreary
weather.  (Sorry, Marika!)   In the meantime I have taken an opportunity
to create a new version of the master report document (attached).  I have
attempted to incorporate everyone?s contributions since the last draft,
including Mikey?s latest material, James? edits, and Martin?s latest
cybersquatting recommendation.  Also, you will see the new section about
WHOIS Access; please check it out.  You will also see the new
recommendation for malicious use, as per the assignment I took in Monday?s
meeting.  I also made some inclusions of my own, as an individual member
of the group.

The doc is redlined; make sure the editing marks are turned on to see
them.  Please let me know ASAP if you have any questions, or if there are
any omissions or errors.

Marika is now taking the Recommendations as they stand, and is creating
the online straw-poll about them.  You will receive an invitation
hopefully tomorrow to take part in the poll.

With best wishes,
--Greg

**********************************
Greg Aaron
Director, Key Account Management and Domain Security
Afilias
vox: +1.215.706.5700
fax: 1.215.706.5701
gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx
**********************************
The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it
from your computer.

 [attachment "RAPWG - Draft Initial Report - 20 January 2010.doc" deleted
by Martin C SUTTON/GMO/HSBC]

HSBC Holdings plc
Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ, United Kingdom
Registered in England number 617987

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This E-mail is confidential.

It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you
may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have
received this message in error, please delete it and all copies
from your system and notify the sender immediately by return
E-mail.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure,
error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions.