ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Cybersquatting

  • To: <martinsutton@xxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Cybersquatting
  • From: "Michael Young" <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:44:44 -0500

Hi Martin,

I am not sure I understand the value of the following recommendation:

"The RAP WG further recommends the initiation of a Policy Development
Process by requesting an Issues Report to investigate the appropriateness
and effectiveness of how any Rights Protection Mechanisms that are developed
elsewhere in the community (e.g. the new gTLD program) can be applied to the
problem of Cybersquatting in the current gTLD space."

As an avid follower of the NGTLD process, I would understand the Rights
Protection Mechanism candidates up for consideration would be the proposed
URS and TM Clearinghouse concepts. Given that neither has been implemented
as of yet, and therefore we have no real world experience to judge their
effectiveness, I don't know that an "Issues Report" and subsequent PDP is
going to reveal or add value in addressing Cybersquatting.  I think a more
effective recommendation would be that, after a suitable period of active
use (at least 2 years) of the URS and/or TM Clearinghouse, an Analysis
report of their effectiveness in reducing Cybersquatting should be
conducted.

I think first examining whether the URS or TM Clearinghouse is effective
following their implementation in the NGLTDs is a responsible stepped
approach.  While they sound like valid ideas today, we could find in
practice they do not turn out to be the best tools to address concerns about
Cybersquatting, on the other hand if they are huge successes, then we can
certainly consider a PDP (following an Analysis report showing that success)
at that time.

Best Regards,

Michael Young

Vice-President,