ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] FWD: [gnso-pednr-dt] FW: New Lawsuit

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] FWD: [gnso-pednr-dt] FW: New Lawsuit
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:03:58 -0500

RAP,

I should have provided the quick reason for me forwarding this to the WG. My intent with passing along this new lawsuit is to draw attention that it is specifically naming a Registrar as an enabler to cybersquatting. I am not sure if this is the first attempt at seeking recourse from a Registrar or not, but interesting nonetheless. I am curious as to what the outcome will be.

Richard, thank you for referencing the M&M report. I can identify and perhaps support its conclusions and approach. However, as the report suggests cybersquatting will still occur and I doubt we will really know the extent until we go live. Knowing that it can still occur, I feel it is our responsibility to do all we can to prevent it before we turn on new gTLDs. With all that said, we must also strike a balance with what is practical and reasonable, and the the M&M report starts to shed light there. As we informally discussed in Nairobi, I think there are opportunities to find more common ground with respect to RPMs, among other things. I'm still internalizing some ideas I have and hope to share them in the near future if I feel they hold water. Thank you again for the feedback.

B

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC

Thanks Berry. I notice none of the 288 infringing domain names are in new TLDs (introduced since 2000). To me this supports the conclusions of this report --- http://www.mindsandmachines.com/wp-content/uploads/M+M-Quantitative-Analysis-of-Cost-of-New-TLDs-to-Trademarks.pdf

RT

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM, <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

RAP Team,

Interesting Case RE: Cybersquatting.  See Michael's notes below.

Forwarded on behalf of Michael Palage.

------ Forwarded Message
        Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:18:50 -0700
To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, 'PEDNR' <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: New Lawsuit

Marika,

I do not know if I have been unsubscribed to the PEDNR mailing list, if I have could you please forward this email to the working group as I believe this recently filed lawsuit against a registrar involving infringement with regard to domain names post expiration/pre deletion may be of interest, see http://domainnamewire.com/wp-content/verizon-directnic.pdf . The relevant allegations begin on page 23 of the complaint.

Best regards,

Michael

------ End of Forwarded Message

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy