ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

[gnso-rap-dt] cybersquatting edit

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] cybersquatting edit
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 15:50:32 -0400

Dear WG:

For the definition of cybersquatting in 5.1.1: Our report says:
"Cybersquatting is the deliberate and bad-faith registration or use of a
name that is a registered brand or mark of an unrelated entity, for the
purpose of profiting (typically, though not exclusively, through
pay-per-click advertisements).... There was consensus in the RAPWG that
provisions 4(a) and 4(b) of the UDRP are a sound definition of
Cybersquatting."

In the Nairobi comment session, Bruce Tonkin noted that the above is
internally inconsistent.  Profit is not always a motive for all
cybersquatters.  Sections 4(a) and 4(b) of the UDRP mentions other proofs of
bad faith (such as "disrupting the business of a competitor.")   And its
mentions profiting by getting people to come to the site.

So, I propose we just delete the phrase "for the purpose of profiting
(typically, though not exclusively, through pay-per-click advertisements)".
I think that would make the statement accurate, and respects the
conversations we had in the WG.  Are there any objections?

All best,

--Greg

**********************************

Greg Aaron

Director, Key Account Management and Domain Security

Afilias

vox: +1.215.706.5700

fax: 1.215.706.5701

gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.