ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] new Cybersquatting definition

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] new Cybersquatting definition
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:45:11 -0500

Greg,

I like the enhancements to the definition. I?m sure you will want to punch me for my only comment. ?

Cybersquatting is recognized as registration abuse in the ICANN community,????

Shouldn?t it state:

Cybersquatting is recognized as registration & use abuse in the ICANN community,????

The first sentence of the definition states ??bad-faith registration and use?.? I as I understand, UDRP is a policy that not only addresses Registration but Use as well and this policy is referenced within the debate of ICANN policy scope where use is considered.

Just my two cents.

Berry Cobb
Infinity Portals LLC
berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.infinityportals.com

From: owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Aaron
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 6:13 PM
To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gnso-rap-dt] new Cybersquatting definition

Dear WG members:

Below is the new Cybersquatting definition (section 5.1.1) that was discussed today. Please provide comments ASAP.

?Cybersquatting is currently defined in gTLDs as the deliberate and bad-faith registration and use of a name that is a registered brand or mark of an unrelated entity, often for the purpose of profiting (typically, though not exclusively, through pay-per-click advertisements). Cybersquatting is recognized as registration abuse in the ICANN community, and the UDRP was originally created to address this abuse. There was consensus in the RAPWG that provisions 4(a) and 4(b) of the UDRP are a sound definition of Cybersquatting. Over the years, a number of issues have been raised regarding the UDRP policy and practices. These bring up issues of how cybersquatting is defined and addressed. For example, cybersquatting has been defined differently in different ccTLDs, national law, and arbitration practices.?

In the meantime, other members will post up material for the Background section (5.1.2).

All best,
--Greg

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy