ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] new Cybersquatting definition

  • To: <berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] new Cybersquatting definition
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 13:20:05 -0400

Dear Berry:

Thanks for your note.  The UDRP currently requires use of the domain, as a
signal of bad faith.  UDRP is narrow in that it is relevant to infringing
domain strings, and does not cover that all uses of domain names.

So using the term "use abuse" could be potentially confusing, or over-broad.
Our report talks about some domain use abuses (say, malware) that have
nothing to do with the UDRP because there's no infringing string involved.

All best,
--Greg