ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-res-sga]

RE: [gnso-res-sga] DRAFT Subgroup A report

  • To: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>, "Maria Farrell" <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-res-sga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-res-sga] DRAFT Subgroup A report
  • From: "Steve DelBianco" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:38:36 -0400

I will not be on tomorrow's call (I'll be testifying in U.S.
Congress--on data security issues, as it turns out) so here is my
personal preface to the Subgroup A document:

As I understand it, the OPoC system has been proposed in order to
improve privacy protection for registered name holders.  Our goal should
be to improve privacy without compromising the ability of law
enforcement and business interests to investigate and terminate illegal
activity occurring on web sites.   That is why subgroup A suggests the
"3 R's" of responsibility for OPoCs (Relay, Reveal, and Remedy).

Absent these responsibilities, the OPoC system would be abused by
registrants with illegal intentions, if only to buy time for them to
profit from illegal activities such as phishing and pharming.

Steve DelBianco
NetChoice and Business Constituency