ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] RE: Draft Revisions Bylaws - GNSORestructure

  • To: <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] RE: Draft Revisions Bylaws - GNSORestructure
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 10:06:24 +0200

Mary, thank you for commenting on the proposed BC IPC ISP by-law changes.
I believe you have made some false assumptions.
Apologies if our simple edits in the by-laws needed more background.

Explicitly:
I. The proposed revision to the Bylaws by the BC, IPC & ISPC in relation to the
composition
of the non-contracting house is untenable for the following reasons:

(1) A consensus working group, which representatives from these Constituencies
participated
in, has already agreed on a carefully structured balance between contracting and
non-contracting houses. The same group has also agreed on parity between the
two parts of
each house (i.e. registries and registrars/commercial and noncommercial).
Parity was also
part of the BGC recommendations, and is reflected in both the BGC WG report of
February 3,
2008 (Section 5.3) and the Summary of Board Actions & GNSO Implementations
document of
November 1, 2008 (updated 23 January 2009) (Recommendation #4 concerning the
GNSO Council in
Appendix A, on page 13.)

Comment: We agree exactly.
a) The Parity concept between the Houses is not in question. But we need to
develop who sits
is each House in light of recent Constituency proposals.
b) The Summer 2008 agreement was founded on an understanding of root and branch
change in
the nature of non-commercial representation within the GNSO. It was not a carte
blanche to
delete 6 commercial seats and give them to NCUC. There is yet no evidence of
that root and
branch change.

II. The proposal to include the entire At Large, which includes commercial as
well as
noncommercial stakeholders, in the new Noncommercial Stakeholders Group (NCSG)
seems to be
another attempt to dilute or undermine parity and balance in the GNSO.
Comment: There is no such proposal. We understand At-Large.
But evidence of "root and branch change in the nature of non-commercial
representation
within the  GNSO" would be that substantial numbers of the non-commercial
bodies now
participating in At-large would form a new Constituency that would leverage the
long
standing consulting structure of the At-Large.
III. Council seats should not be linked directly to Constituencies rather than
SGs,
Comment: There is no such proposal in the steady state going forward assuming
agreed
conditions for change have been met.