ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] RE: Draft Revisions Bylaws - GNSO Restructure

  • To: <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] RE: Draft Revisions Bylaws - GNSO Restructure
  • From: "Mary Wong" <MWong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 16:19:08 -0400

In light of the Restructuring DT call next week, the NCUC would like to respond
to some of the suggested Bylaw changes made by the BC, IPC and ISPC that were
circulated on 21 April 2009, as follows:

I. The proposed revision to the Bylaws by the BC, IPC & ISPC in relation to the
composition of the non-contracting house is untenable for the following reasons:

(1) A consensus working group, which representatives from these Constituencies
participated in, has already agreed on a carefully structured balance between
contracting and non-contracting houses. The same group has also agreed on
parity between the two parts of each house (i.e. registries and
registrars/commercial and noncommercial). Parity was also part of the BGC
recommendations, and is reflected in both the BGC WG report of February 3, 2008
(Section 5.3) and the Summary of Board Actions & GNSO Implementations document
of November 1, 2008 (updated 23 January 2009) (Recommendation #4 concerning the
GNSO Council in Appendix A, on page 13.)

(2) At best, the current proposal flies in the face of these reports and the
Board's endorsement of the parity principle; at worst, it represents a bad
faith attempt to re-open a fundamental principle that the Board and the
community have discussed and agreed upon.

II. The proposal to include the entire At Large, which includes commercial as
well as noncommercial stakeholders, in the new Noncommercial Stakeholders Group
(NCSG) seems to be another attempt to dilute or undermine parity and balance in
the GNSO.

This has little to do with encouraging or enabling individual membership and
participation (which is already possible and should continue in the new GNSO.)
Renaming only the NCSG to include "Individuals" suggests that there is no home
anywhere else within the GNSO for them, which would exclude those individuals
who have a commercial interest in DNS policy (e.g. domainers, consultants, even
individual legal practitioners.) To the extent that the restructured GNSO is to
facilitate increased and broad-based individual membership and participation,
it makes far more sense for both commercial and noncommercial SGs to allow
individual membership.

III. Council seats should not be linked directly to Constituencies rather than
SGs,

This arrangement would not only create scalability problems (and potentially
further Board action on restructuring within a very short period of time), it
goes against the intention expressed in (among others) the BGC WG report that
the Constituency structure needs to adapt in light of the move to (inter alia)
a working group model, and be flexible and dynamic. Charter proposals for the
NCSG are now before the Board. Determining representation structures within a
noncommercial framework should not be the province of commercial stakeholders,
who have an obvious conflict of interest in relation to the proposals addressed
in this submission.

Best regards,
Mary (on behalf of the NCUC)

Mary W S Wong

Professor of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/21/2009 3:27 PM >>>
I took up Avri's suggestion and prepared a red-line version of Philip's
document that will hopefully facilitate our discussion on the Bylaws
changes needed for Council restructure.

Thanks Philip for all the time you put into this.

Chuck