ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

[gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals

  • To: <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 14:31:30 +0200

Let me clarify the position on individuals

In essence the rules for admittance will not change significantly.
Today individuals are welcome. The BC has for example Marilyn Cade; Mike
Rodenbaugh and Mike
Palage.

But before they join a constituency an individual must demonstrate "commercial
intent".
That is judged (in the case of the BC) by a committee of members who assess
commercial
intent on evidence provided.
That may be as simple as incorporation:  a sole-trader, an LLC, a one-director
limited
company etc.
Other evidence will be considered.
If the evidence was "I once sold a printer cable on e-bay" that may be judged
insufficient.
If the evidence is "I made $1m selling printer cables (or art) on e-bay from my
garden shed,
that may be judged sufficient.
It will be a case by case basis with the default that satisfactory
demonstration of
commercial intent by an individual gets them in.
Hope this helps.