ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:46:10 -0700

Philip,

Thanks for trying to clarify this, but I'm still not sure what an individual business person from a developing country would need to satisfy the standard and feel confident in applying for membership.

The 3 individuals you cite below are all longtime ICANN-insiders (current or ex-board members and counselors), so that doesn't tell us much about how new small business people can participate in the policy development process -- and that is the group that is currently missing from ICANN policy development and we are trying to bring in with this reform process.

It seems like there is a lot of opportunity for existing commercial participants (and especially big business) to keep-out smaller players off the field and no intention of change this from existing participants.

Is there a standard of objective criteria that is published in advance so commercial individuals know what they need to show before they apply?

Who makes up the committee that decides if an individual is big enough to earn membership (any individuals on that committee)?

Are there are any non-American/European individual memberships at this time?

Thanks,
Robin

Of the individuals members of the BC, how many a