ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals

• To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:46:10 -0700

Philip,

Thanks for trying to clarify this, but I'm still not sure what an individual business person from a developing country would need to satisfy the standard and feel confident in applying for membership.

The 3 individuals you cite below are all longtime ICANN-insiders (current or ex-board members and counselors), so that doesn't tell us much about how new small business people can participate in the policy development process -- and that is the group that is currently missing from ICANN policy development and we are trying to bring in with this reform process.

It seems like there is a lot of opportunity for existing commercial participants (and especially big business) to keep-out smaller players off the field and no intention of change this from existing participants.

Is there a standard of objective criteria that is published in advance so commercial individuals know what they need to show before they apply?

Who makes up the committee that decides if an individual is big enough to earn membership (any individuals on that committee)?

Are there are any non-American/European individual memberships at this time?

Thanks,
Robin

Of the individuals members of the BC, how many a

On May 8, 2009, at 5:31 AM, Philip Sheppard wrote:

Let me clarify the position on individuals

In essence the rules for admittance will not change significantly.
Today individuals are welcome. The BC has for example Marilyn Cade; Mike Rodenbaugh and Mike
Palage.

But before they join a constituency an individual must demonstrate "commercial intent". That is judged (in the case of the BC) by a committee of members who assess commercial
intent on evidence provided.
That may be as simple as incorporation: a sole-trader, an LLC, a one-director limited
company etc.
Other evidence will be considered.
If the evidence was "I once sold a printer cable on e-bay" that may be judged insufficient. If the evidence is "I made $1m selling printer cables (or art) on e- bay from my garden shed,
that may be judged sufficient.
It will be a case by case basis with the default that satisfactory demonstration of
commercial intent by an individual gets them in.
Hope this helps.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy