ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals

  • To: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals
  • From: Liz Williams <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:34:15 +0100

Robin

I'd like to address a couple of the points you make.

1. I am one of the many individual business users who are members of the existing Business Constituency and would expect to remain so. There is no impediment -- linguisitic, social or financial -- to joining. I expect the same would be true for any one joining from anywhere. Indeed, we would welcome members from developing countries (whatever that means) and that is exactly the purpose of our Business Outreach activities in Sydney (as it was in Cairo and Mexico).

2. I am a member of the BC Credentials Committee which has assessed more applications in 2008 than ever before. The only criteria that we use to assess applicants is that which are published on the BC website. Big business is unable to keep out small players -- there is no mechanism for that to happen. For the record, my two other Committee members come from small business and large multinational corporation. You'll note that there are two small business representatives and one large business.

3. You have asked what criteria that are published in advance. http://www.bizconst.org/ Being "big enough" is not one of those criteria.

4. You asked whether there are any non-American European individual members at this time. The membership list is public at the URL above. I am one of the non-American European members and will remain so. The artificial distinction of where one lives and does business is outmoded and irrelevant. For example, I am Australian, conduct business from my UK base whilst being firmly involved in Europe. I don't see how any of that is relevant except for ICANN constructions of geographical diversity which are designed to prevent white/anglo/ middle class bias. We should get over that and look for quality, commitment, diversity of skills, different views and opinions rather than than who holds what passport.

Liz

Liz Williams
+44 1963 364 380
+44 7824 877 757