ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals

• To: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-restruc-dt] CIG and Individuals
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 20:34:15 +0100

Robin

I'd like to address a couple of the points you make.

1. I am one of the many individual business users who are members of the existing Business Constituency and would expect to remain so. There is no impediment -- linguisitic, social or financial -- to joining. I expect the same would be true for any one joining from anywhere. Indeed, we would welcome members from developing countries (whatever that means) and that is exactly the purpose of our Business Outreach activities in Sydney (as it was in Cairo and Mexico).

2. I am a member of the BC Credentials Committee which has assessed more applications in 2008 than ever before. The only criteria that we use to assess applicants is that which are published on the BC website. Big business is unable to keep out small players -- there is no mechanism for that to happen. For the record, my two other Committee members come from small business and large multinational corporation. You'll note that there are two small business representatives and one large business.

3. You have asked what criteria that are published in advance. http://www.bizconst.org/ Being "big enough" is not one of those criteria.

4. You asked whether there are any non-American European individual members at this time. The membership list is public at the URL above. I am one of the non-American European members and will remain so. The artificial distinction of where one lives and does business is outmoded and irrelevant. For example, I am Australian, conduct business from my UK base whilst being firmly involved in Europe. I don't see how any of that is relevant except for ICANN constructions of geographical diversity which are designed to prevent white/anglo/ middle class bias. We should get over that and look for quality, commitment, diversity of skills, different views and opinions rather than than who holds what passport.

Liz

Liz Williams
+44 1963 364 380
+44 7824 877 757

On 12 May 2009, at 19:46, Robin Gross wrote:

Philip,

Thanks for trying to clarify this, but I'm still not sure what an individual business person from a developing country would need to satisfy the standard and feel confident in applying for membership.

The 3 individuals you cite below are all longtime ICANN-insiders (current or ex-board members and counselors), so that doesn't tell us much about how new small business people can participate in the policy development process -- and that is the group that is currently missing from ICANN policy development and we are trying to bring in with this reform process.

It seems like there is a lot of opportunity for existing commercial participants (and especially big business) to keep-out smaller players off the field and no intention of change this from existing participants.

Is there a standard of objective criteria that is published in advance so commercial individuals know what they need to show before they apply?

Who makes up the committee that decides if an individual is big enough to earn membership (any individuals on that committee)?

Are there are any non-American/European individual memberships at this time?

Thanks,
Robin

Of the individuals members of the BC, how many a

On May 8, 2009, at 5:31 AM, Philip Sheppard wrote:

Let me clarify the position on individuals

In essence the rules for admittance will not change significantly.
Today individuals are welcome. The BC has for example Marilyn Cade; Mike Rodenbaugh and Mike
Palage.

But before they join a constituency an individual must demonstrate "commercial intent". That is judged (in the case of the BC) by a committee of members who assess commercial
intent on evidence provided.
That may be as simple as incorporation: a sole-trader, an LLC, a one-director limited
company etc.
Other evidence will be considered.
If the evidence was "I once sold a printer cable on e-bay" that may be judged insufficient. If the evidence is "I made $1m selling printer cables (or art) on e-bay from my garden shed,
that may be judged sufficient.
It will be a case by case basis with the default that satisfactory demonstration of
commercial intent by an individual gets them in.
Hope this helps.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy