ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q4; In Section 3.1: Question of constituency role

  • To: "Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q4; In Section 3.1: Question of constituency role
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 21:04:37 -0400

As is quite clear, a guaranteed seat per constituency, the desire to increase the number of constituencies (or at least points of view) and a fixed number of council seats cannot call coexist.

The staff-proposed Bylaw revisions acknowledged this and made it a (deferred) Board responsibility to resolve.

Assuming the Board is going to step up to its responsibilities and only accept a SG charter if it believes that the charter WILL encourage the new and diverse players to participate in the GNSO, I don't see any reason to enshrine this interim rule (every Constituency must get a seat) in the Bylaws.

On the other hand, if there IS a feeling among Board members that the charters presented do not meet the target of encouraging new participation, and yet are not willing to reject them based on these grounds, perhaps the rule is needed.

I far prefer the former alternative.

Alan

At 07/05/2009 12:32 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

All very well and good, Avri, but I provided a pretty comprehensive answer to the question in my initial message. About as long as your response above I reproduce it below in case you did not read it. ;-)