ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q18 on thresholds - chairs and vice chairs

  • To: <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Q18 on thresholds - chairs and vice chairs
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 13:47:39 -0400

This might work.  I think it is preferable to have one person with
ultimate responsibility for cases when there is disagreement between the
leadership team members but a co-chair arrangement doesn't seem too bad.
If we go this direction, then we might want to add some language to
encourage best efforts to identify a chair with 60% support of both
houses.  Otherwise, we could just end up having a co-chair arrangement
most of the time and I think that is suboptimal, but that is just my
opinion.

In my experience as vice chair, Avri and I consult on most decisions.
We each state our rationale and more often than not we reach a mutually
supported decision.  But there are times when we disagree and in those
instances I usually just defer to her as the chair.

I actually am relatively optimistic that we will usually be able to
achieve the '60% of both houses' threshold.  As Philip pointed out, the
Council has been successful electing chairs for 10 years.  Granted that
the voting thresholds will be different but it still should be generally
possible to identify a candidate who has sufficient support.

Chuck