ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Notes from Restructure meeting of 25 May

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Notes from Restructure meeting of 25 May
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:40:49 -0700

Avri, thanks for laying out the timetable below, which is very useful to
know.  I feel constrained to point out, though, that Q1 (regarding seats
allocated to the NCSG) is a threshold question from the IPC's viewpoint,
and I can't see IPC representatives to the Council being in a position
to support any package of by-laws amendments until that issue is
resolved.

Your chart correctly points out that this issue is "waiting on Board
determination."  So far, the only output we have seen from the Board is
Denise's note of a week ago, which stated:  "The Board approved a
resolution that: noted that the proposed SG charters require revisions
to  ensure equitable participation and representation by new
constituencies;  directed the Board's Structural Improvements Committee
(SIC) and ICANN Staff  to propose changes to the SG charters to make
them consistent with the Board's  stated objectives; and directed the
SIC to post the revised charters, and an  explanatory memorandum, for
GNSO consultation and public comment." The text of the resolution still
has not been made public.

Assuming that the issue posed by Q1 was not resolved at last week's
Board meeting, it may be that it will be addressed in the proposed
changes now being prepared by SIC and the staff.  Those proposed changes
are then to be posted for GNSO consultation and public comment.  Perhaps
staff could provide an update on the status of these proposals, when
they are expected to be posted, and the likely duration of the public
comment period, so that we can make a more realistic appraisal of the
timetable for by-laws revisions.

Alternatively, perhaps the Board intends to resolve this issue at its
next meeting in Sydney.  If so it would be useful to know that.

Steve