ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

[gnso-restruc-dt] Notes from Restructure meeting of 25 May

  • To: gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-restruc-dt] Notes from Restructure meeting of 25 May
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:57:02 -0400

Hi,

Report from the Restructuring Meeting.

1. Schedule was reviewed.

Some of the data points in the discussion (some exact dates need to be firmed up):

a. It is a firm goal, endorsed by the Board, that the new council be seated at the Seoul Meeting. b. In order for council members to have travel arrangements it will be necessary for them to be elected by 8 September if not a week earlier (I have asked for official notification of traveller notification date). c. Since it is assumed to take 3-4 weeks for SG elections, the SG charters and By-law changes need to be approved by the Board at their 30 July meeting. d. The board will require materials (council recommendation on by-law changes and agreed upon SG charters) 4 weeks in advance. This allows for a required Board comment period. This means the council needs to have made its recommendation on the by-laws by 30 June. As a separate process, the SIC, Policy Staff and SGs need to finalize the SG charters. e. This means we either decide at our public meeting on 23 June, or a special meeting the following week. It is also possible that we do the vote on the the by-laws via an email vote if all of the discussions have been completed. f. In order to meet ICANN publication deadlines and to give constituencies a chance to review the material before the public meeting, by-laws and motion should be framed by June 9 at the latest (to give 2 weeks)

It was pointed out that this very tight schedule means that the GNSO constituencies, SGs and Council would need to get very timely reports on Board/SIC decisions.

2. We received a SIC update from Raimundo indicating:
- the Board has empowered the SIC to act on the questions sent for review by this DT - the SIC will be meeting shortly and will be able to give the council answers shortly (depends on date of SIC mtg)
- it is considered necessary to seat the new council in Seoul

3. We reviewed question Q5 Q7, Q8, and Q10

- on Q5 a small group composed of Philip, Chuck, Olga and Mary/Milton are working on text that can be proposed to the list that balances their concerns.

- on Q7 and Q8, Avri will draft proposed language for these that is based on adhering to a principle of subsidiarity, i.e. making and documenting decisions at the lowest appropriate unit of organization in the bottom up chain.

- on Q10:

-- line 45 with reference to the spreadsheet, it was postulated that there is full consensus on the point: "An individual may not serve simultaneously as a GNSO Councilor and an ICANN Board member". This needs confirmation so the issue can marked as resolved.

-- line 46, alternate text was suggested at the end of the meeting that was not discussed in the meeting, and needs to be discussed on the list: " With the exception of voting, no individual or entity shall be excluded from observing a Constituency merely becasue of participation in another Constituency. Each Constituency will be repsonsible for determing its own rules relating to observer participation."

4. The next meeting : Monday 1 June at 1300 UTC, but discussions need to continue on the list in order to meet the deadlines.

5. The poll on the selection method for  NCAs is ongoing:
http://www.doodle.com/x2ey9ydpq5rga7u9

6. An updated spreadsheet is attached.  Changes are highlighted.

Please send any comments or corrections to this list.

thanks

a.