ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-restruc-dt]

RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Followup from the meeting.

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-restruc-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-restruc-dt] Followup from the meeting.
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:50:10 -0400

Avri,

You will see below that a backed off of putting all thresholds in the
Bylaws.  How about this:

Replace the last paragraph of X.8 (Except as otherwise specified in the
Transition Article XX, Section 5 (link TBD) or Annex A of these Bylaws
(link TBD), all bicameral house voting thresholds required to pass a
GNSO Council motion or other action are prescribed in the GNSO Council
Operating Rules and Procedures approved by the Board.) with the
following:

"Bicameral Council voting thresholds:

a. Create an Issues Report: requires more than 25% vote of both houses
or majority of one house;
b. Initiate a PDP Within Scope: requires more than 33% vote of both
houses or more than 66% vote of one house;
c. Initiate a PDP Not Within Scope: requires a vote of more than 75% of
one house and a majority of the other house ("Super Majority");
d. Approve a PDP Recommendation Without a Super Majority: requires a
majority of both houses and further requires that one representative of
at least 3 of the 4 Stakeholder Groups supports;
e. Approve a PDP Recommendation With a Super Majority: requires greater
than 75% majority in one house and majority in the other house;
f. Election of officers: The voting thresholds for electing Council
officers are contained in the GNSO Council Operating Rules and
Procedures approved by the Board.
g. Other issues: require a simple majority of both houses."

BTW, I may have another fix that is needed.  In 'ARTICLE XX: TRANSITION
ARTICLE; SECTION 5. GENERIC NAMES SUPPORTING ORGANIZATION' item 6 says,
"In the absence of further action by the Board to modify or amend Annex
A to these Bylaws and/or this Transition Article XX, Section 5, the
newly seated GNSO Council will utilize the following voting thresholds
for all policy development activity conducted commencing with the ICANN
meeting in June 2009: . . ."  I think that June needs to be changed to
October.

Chuck