ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

[gnso-rn-wg] Interest Statement - C Greer

  • To: <gnso-rn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-rn-wg] Interest Statement - C Greer
  • From: "Caroline Greer" <cgreer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:30:01 -0500

All,

Please find below my interest statement for the Reserved Names Working Group.

Kind regards,

Caroline.

*** Interest Statement - Caroline Greer ***

I am Policy Director for mTLD Ltd, the Registry responsible for the .mobi TLD.
I participate in the gTLD Registry Constituency.

dotMobi is the first top level domain dedicated to delivering the internet to
the mobile phone. mTLD is sponsored by a consortium of thirteen companies, two
of which (Nokia and Telefónica) are members of ICANN's Business Constituency.
dotMobi signed its contract with ICANN in July 2005 and began operations in May
2006.

dotMobi is required to reserve certain names and these reserved names are
identified in Appendix 6 of the .mobi Agreement. dotMobi also has 'Premium
Names' listed in its Product List (Appendix S of the Agreement). These names
are commonly used words and phrases that are allocated on an other than
first-come-first-served basis and therefore must first be reserved by the
Registry and held back from general allocation. dotMobi will allocate such
names using auction and Request for Proposals ('RFP') processes, the latter of
which centers on content suggestions from the market. The purpose of the RFP
process in particular is to stimulate growth of the mobile internet market and
help deliver new features and services to the mobile community.

My personal interest in participating in the Reserved Names Working Group is to
gain a better understanding of why certain categories of names are required to
be reserved by ICANN. As a new TLD, we have received many related queries from
Registrants. Any future decision by ICANN to lift such requirements could
possibly result in the release of further names by dotMobi which would
ultimately benefit the Registry.

I look forward to working with everyone in the group.