ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rn-wg]

Re: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rn-wg] RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 01:10:47 -0800

think you said this very well Edmon.  Does this make sense Sophia?
Edmon describes why I did not think that this was an issue in our RN-WG
meeting yesterday.  Unfortunately, I was not able to communicate nearly
as effectively

Not really Chuck:   No one suggested splitting the string.

The problem was solved unfortunately for the *wrong example <
CITIBANKchina.TLD> *,
which everyone acknowledges, it is.  Then, Edmond was responding to Sharam's

raising the issue based on the interpretation of that wrong example,
when trying
to discuss
the justification for the original proposal to ban CCHH (or at least xn--) in
the
middle of IDN label.   Then Sharam went on a tangent of xn-- lables
into two labels before English label and the Chinese label, therefore
rejecting the idea.
Then Edmond got on to explain and concurred with Sharam's rejection
as above saying accepting this issue would necessarily require going to the
ooriginal proposal at IETF and making significant protocol chages. Obviously
too
late for that!  * So ignore the above **exchange.* Status quo. problem was
solved
based on a wrong example.

Returning to the original question of the justification and weather we would
want
to do that, please read the next paragraph; which I intend to put in summary

form for the RN WG, as part of the IDN WG view in the short time we
discussed
it, a report that I will send shortly you.

It has been pointed out that during  the deployment stage literally millions
of
software maybe slowly needed to be made IDN-aware and that sloppily
programming while being made IDN-aware could take such IDN
labels that have xn -- (or cc--) in the middle and mistakenly convert
to the pseudo-embedded U-strings. While clearly market complaints would
take care of this, after preliminary analysis there appears to be no
adverse consequences,  including the formal possibility of some rare
cases of characters in some languages being un-registrable, for banning
cc-- everywhere in the middle or ends of IDN labels.

And extending the current ban on cc-- at the beginning of IDN labels to the
rest of the
IDN label from a programming/implementation perspective adds almost no
extra work and in fact maybe slightly simpler.  Further such bans of
cc-- in the middle/end could always be lifted after several years. Thus
given that at this preliminary stage of analysis there seems to be no
adverse consequences and some small benefits, while it would not be a
big deal whether we ban c-- in the middle/end of IDN labels or not, my
personal recommendation would be to err on the side of safety and
suggest banning cc-- across the board.

I hope this clarifies the issue and the way forward for a decision.
Sophia